$99 Ooma Premier extended for current Ooma Hub customers

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Dennis P
Ooma Moderator
Re: $99 Ooma Premier extended for current Ooma Hub customers

Post by Dennis P » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Sorry to sit on the sidelines for so long on this one. I wanted to get clarification on the issues discussed here before I posted anything.

The $99/year pricing on Ooma Premier is good through end of the year and applies both to new subscriptions as well as renewals. This means that if you currently are subscribing to Premier but your subscription does not renew until next year, you will be able to lock-in the $99/year price for one or more additional years by purchasing before 12/31/2009. If you do not lock-in the $99 price this year, the price change will take effect on Jan 1 and the new price will be applied to any subscriptions due for renewal.

If you are not a Premier subscriber yet (or if you are still in your trial period), you may purchase a new Ooma Premier subscription at the $99/year price anytime before 12/31/2009. You will also be able to lock-in the $99/year price for one or more additional years.

My Ooma does not yet allow you to place orders for additional years beyond the first year or beyond what you have already paid for. We'll be adding that capability over the next few weeks and will announce it when it is available.

Note that the $99/year price is only applicable to Ooma Hub customers.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks Dennis... So just so we are clear here:

- You must prepay for 1 or more years at $99.00/year... After whatever you have prepaid for runs out, you will be charged the $119/year, regardless of how long you have been an Original Hub owner...correct?

- There is no grandfathering of this rate for renewals that are not prepaid for before 12/31/2009

Is that correct?

What I was hoping to hear was that all original hub owners have until 12/31/2009 to become a premier customer, and as long as you don't allow your premier coverage to expire without payment, that annual renewals will continue to be $99/year for as long as you are a continuing premier customer...
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:30 pm

MikeekiM wrote:- You must prepay for 1 or more years at $99.00/year... After whatever you have prepaid for runs out, you will be charged the $119/year, regardless of how long you have been an Original Hub owner...correct?
Yes, this is correct.

whn

Post by whn » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Dennis P wrote:
MikeekiM wrote:- You must prepay for 1 or more years at $99.00/year... After whatever you have prepaid for runs out, you will be charged the $119/year, regardless of how long you have been an Original Hub owner...correct?
Yes, this is correct.

What is the lifetime costs?

Thanks

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm

I don't see how they can come up with any lifetime costs. Your costs will be $99 per year times as many years as you are willing to prepay. After that, costs can go up.

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:36 am

How about those of us who are beta testers and choose to keep the numbers we currently have on the telo and not transfer our hub accounts? What will we pay for premier and if we opt out of getting premier when the beta testing is done, will the telo account revert to Ooma basic?
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

eibook

Post by eibook » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:34 am

Dennis P wrote:
Yes, this is correct.

So technically there is no "grandfathering"? As a current Premier customer, if I choose to pay $495 today I will get Ooma Premier for 5 years at $99/year. If I choose to pay $99 today I will get Ooma Premier for 1 year at $99/year and after that I will have to pay $119/year.

If I pay ahead for 5 years, what happens if Ooma doesn't survive?

In my opinion, it would have been a better customer service decision to award the people who already subscribe to Premier (basically got Ooma off the ground) by truly "grandfathering" them into $99/year no matter when you pay for it.

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:07 am

Does anyone have a copy of the terms and conditions that were in effect when your account was activated? Perhaps they have changed? That would seem to be the only valid argument you could make for having the right to purchase premier service for $99/year indefinitely. The Ts&Cs in place when we purchased our system 6 weeks ago state "Our Premier Services, and the prices we charge for them, (including any promotional pricing) are subject to change from time to time without notice."

While I like a deal as much as the next person, I can't complain with ooma on this policy. If anyone has evidence of better terms in hand at time of purchase/activation why not come forward? So far all I've seen is speculation and wishful thinking.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:17 am

I agree... I think they are handling this just fine... Is it everything everyone hoped for? Probably not... As you say, we all appreciate a great deal...

I am extremely happy that Ooma is doing what it has for us already... Truly grandfathering our free services, not extending the annual tax/surcharge AND increasing the 3,000 minute cap to 5,000 is pretty cool... Also, Ooma recognizing our original activation date, and allowing us to transfer this to new hardware is key... They aren't grandfathering based on the life of the hardware...they are grandfathering the customer account... That is key...

And guess what? If they need an extra $20 a year to "keep the lights on" for everybody (including all of us enjoying the free service)...I am all for it!
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

niknak

Post by niknak » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:20 am

...Does anyone have a copy of the terms and conditions that were in effect when your account was activated? Perhaps they have changed...
i don't have a copy handy, but for sure the T&C have changed over the years...for example original purchasers of the hub when it cost $400 have lifetime premier service at no additional charge, then there are the T&C that were in effect up to 10/1 and the new T&C after 10/1