phone number assignment software

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Dennis P
Ooma Moderator
Re: phone number assignment software

Post by Dennis P » Sat May 31, 2008 12:06 pm

We've got to get some friendlier error messages.

Ok, so here are some limitations:

- Before you can delete a device, you have to move any phone numbers off of it. You can do that by clicking into the number and selecting a new "location" for it to be assigned to.

- You can't move your main phone number. It has to stay assigned to your "shared devices". I'm not sure if this is a short-term limitation, or something that will be changed later. This should not prevent you from getting the system setup as you want as I believe your main phone number is your voice line and you want it to go to your shared devices (ie your two Scouts). Correct me if I'm wrong.

- You should be able to move the fax number from your "fake scout" back to your Hub. I'll have someone look into why you are getting that error message.

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sat May 31, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi Dennis ... thanks for the weekend reply.

I got the move the phone number before deleting it.... makes sense, but I get an error when trying to move the number from my 'fake' scout.

I understand not moving the "main" number and I think we have the solution to make my secondary number my "main" number to connect to the hub. I didn't know that I couldn't assign it to a HUB... (programmers should put a note in there about 'assigning a hub'. Silly to do so if you only have one right? I don't understand that there would be any function if you can't assign a number to it.

So for now, I will attempt to delete the 'assigned' hub.

And even if I could return my fake scout number back to shared devices, I couldn't move my 'main' voice number to the new Scout A and B until you (OOMA) designate my second number as my "main". Correct?

You wrote: your main phone number is your voice line and you want it to go to your shared devices (ie your two Scouts). Correct me if I'm wrong

You are correct. But again, my voice line has to be my secondary line to be allowed to move it. Right?

Anyway. Thanks. I look forward to getting my configuration good for me so I can cancel my backup landline.

John

Ok, so here are some limitations:

- Before you can delete a device, you have to move any phone numbers off of it. You can do that by clicking into the number and selecting a new "location" for it to be assigned to.

- You can't move your main phone number. It has to stay assigned to your "shared devices". I'm not sure if this is a short-term limitation, or something that will be changed later. This should not prevent you from getting the system setup as you want as I believe your main phone number is your voice line and you want it to go to your shared devices (ie your two Scouts). Correct me if I'm wrong.

- You should be able to move the fax number from your "fake scout" back to your Hub. I'll have someone look into why you are getting that error message.[/quote]

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Sat May 31, 2008 9:47 pm

You main phone number must be assigned to your "shared devices", but it doesn't mean your main phone number has to be assigned to your Hub.

If you set up your system so that you just have "shared devices" and an assigned Hub, your Scouts will be part of the "shared devices" pool and will be associated with your primary phone number. You can then take your fax number and associate it with the Hub device.

That said, we need to fix your account - it's gotten into a state where it's not letting you move your second number around like you are supposed to. I'll let you know when that is ready.

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:41 am

Dennis that would be perfect, but I can't assign my primary phone number to the hub.

I now have a HUB and SCOUT A. My voice line (non primary) is assigned to SCOUT A. and my fax (primary) is in the shared pool (where the hub is).

So I tried assigning the hub, made an assigned hub and then tried to assign the primary (fax) number to it. I got this:

"Your Number could not be saved at this time

Error received from OSS OSS Failed To Reassign DID:Update Failed: Cannot Move SPN VNum=0 AdmDid Pk[a66c8zjqpgmsowy9z07ig94xz8xocr]
(30451/160)"

I have been told repeatedly that I cannot move my primary number which is why I shifted my voice number to non-primary so that I could and did assign it to a scout.

This works well except for one thing. I can't have two scouts with my voice number. Apparently you can only assign a number to one device.

So, now, my fax rings on my fax and SCOUT B (hub and SCOUT B are in shared devices) and my voice rings only on SCOUT A.

I would prefer to have my voice ring on SCOUT A and B.

If I am reading your note correctly, If I have SCOUT A and B in shared devices with my primary number as my voice number, I don't need to assign them to anything. I can then assign my hub and transfer my fax number to it. Will that work. If so, I wasted a bit of Norm's time last night. He flipped my numbers around so my FAX is now primary.

If you think this will work, I would love to give it a try.

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:42 pm

DONE and works perfectly. Justino was very patient as was Norm.

Main number NOT assigned (in shared pool). Secondary number assigned to hub (with fax attached). Fax rings only fax, main number rings BOTH scouts. PERFECT.. .PERFECT...

The only negative is that I had to aggravate OOMA people. It would be nice if I could move things around myself. Apparently the primary / secondary assignments are a big deal. But... it works PERFECTLY.

Thank you for the idea. This is a bit complex to conceive, but it makes perfect sense and it works.

John

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:26 am

Glad to hear it is now working! We're working to fix a couple of the hiccups you ran into while trying to move your number from one device to another. Thanks for sticking with it.

tmf

Post by tmf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:45 pm

I am getting same error message. I switched one of my shared numbers to a scout personal device. When i attempted to switch it back to my Hub as a shared number it gave me the error message.
I cannot seem to get the number back as shared?!?
Anyone have this problem recently that may be able to help?

here is the error:

Sorry!An error occured.Your Number could not be saved at this time

Error received from OSS [1]
(30451/160)