Internet connection dropout

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rallapalli
Internet connection dropout

Post by rallapalli » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi,

I am a new Ooma customer. I connected my wireless router behind ooma hub. Ever since I started using ooma, my internet connection keeps dropping several times in a day. Before ooma, I never had such issues.
I am using DI-624 wireless router from Dlink. I set the router to dynamic ip.
I also changed the QOS on the Ooma network to some 3100 KBS which is below maximum upload with my internet connection.

Is there any solution to avoid internet dropouts? I do not see any issues with phone. I noticed whenever there is internet disconnection, the orange light does not glow on the home port of ooma.
My DI-624 is updated with latest firmware.
My wife is not happy as she works from home using wireless connection and with connection drop outs, she is unable to work from home.

Thank you,
Rallapalli

atici

Re: Internet connection dropout

Post by atici » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 am

A suggestion worth a try:
Connect to your ooma box (172.27.35.1) and go to Settings->Advanced. In the DHCP configuration only set one value to both "Start Address" and "End Address" such as 172.27.35.10 and set "DMZ Address" to that same value. After this connect to your D-link router and set the network settings to be Static IP and set the IP value to 172.27.35.10 (or whatever you chose in ooma configuration).

If this doesn't work, it may be a hardware problem. Either the network cable connecting ooma to the router is bad or the ooma box has an issue. In the worst case you can connect the ooma behind the router.

wase4711

Post by wase4711 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:14 am

yeah, if you dont upload alot of large files, and if you dont use bittorrent alot, then you probably wont notice any difference putting the ooma after the router insted of before it..

atici

Post by atici » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:58 am

If my earlier post doesn't help and you decide to put ooma behind the router, then make sure to place ooma in DMZ (demilitarized zone) in your router settings. Also if you could, prioritize ooma traffic over others. Some D-link routers such as DGL-4300, DGL-4500 have Gamefuel settings that allow you to do this.