OK, so I'm now a OOMA owner, now who do I use

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Kimmy1126
OK, so I'm now a OOMA owner, now who do I use

Post by Kimmy1126 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:33 pm

for Cable/DVR and internet service for the best price? We have been using Charter Cable but their prices are so high without bundling their services. I don't need phone only high speed internet and cable with DVR. Anyone have any good suggestions on who to use and how to renegotiate with Charter for a good deal now that I'm dropping their phone? Thanks for any good suggestions....

southsound

Re: OK, so I'm now a OOMA owner, now who do I use

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:52 pm

A lot of your options will depend on where you are located. I live on Harstine Island, WA and have only one choice for reliable wired Internet - Qwest. In town about 16 miles away, there is fiber through our local PUD, broadband through HCTC, and several other choices. Let us know where you are and someone from that area is likely to respond. And welcome to ooma and to the forums! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

allo

Re: OK, so I'm now a OOMA owner, now who do I use

Post by allo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Kimmy1126 wrote:for Cable/DVR and internet service for the best price? We have been using Charter Cable but their prices are so high without bundling their services. I don't need phone only high speed internet and cable with DVR. Anyone have any good suggestions on who to use and how to renegotiate with Charter for a good deal now that I'm dropping their phone? Thanks for any good suggestions....
What do you mean by "Prices so high""... What are you paying?
Usually a connection with 7 Mb/s download - 1.5 Mb/s upload, is priced normally between $40-$50 a month.
(Cable+TV= around $100 and Cable+TV+Phone = around $130)
DSL runs much less but is usually with lower speed ... any lousy phone co can "offer" that service.
Very rare to find 2 cable cos serving the same location... don't confuse that with Internet Providers like Road Runner and Earthlink; because they both can service the same location, but they use the same Cable company! (the 2 ISP sometimes compete against each other!).

LetterK

I have your answer!

Post by LetterK » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:52 am

Charter has a secret HQ team of customer support called the "customer service escalation team." Don't be afraid of the prompts they ask you, such as have you tried to resolve this problem. Answer yes and you will be connected to english as a first language, very intelligent customer service rep from St. Louis, MO.

Ask for a 2 year lock in on you internet and you can get internet service for $30 month if you own you own modem. $5 more if you don't. Buy your own modem if possible, they usually only cost $40-60 and last forever. $30 for 5 meg, $40 for $10 meg. There is an early termination fee of $75, which is prorated for $2.50 a month, but if you ever had Charter service it is worth it not to have to deal with them for 2 years. You can save $10 a month off the internet if you need to bundle in phone or cable. I'm sure the bundle prices are much cheaper than the single prices they will give you on the regular customer service lines.

314-965-0555
steps to reach a person
Press 3 to be transferred to executive customer service agent
available hours 24 hours, 7 days