Without Comcast Digital Voice Modem Ooma dosn't work

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Auldron
Without Comcast Digital Voice Modem Ooma dosn't work

Post by Auldron » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:11 am

I am setting up my ooma for the first time and I currently have Comcast Cable internet and Comcast phone service. In my basement I have the Comcast phone modem wired into my home phone wiring. In the next room I have my comcast wireless router cable modem. I have the cable modem plugged directly into the wall (coax) then port one one on the comcast wireless router cable modem going into the ooma jack labeled modem. From there I have the ooma jack labeled home plugged into my computer. The PC works fine and dandy.

I then plugged the ooma jack labeled Phone into my phone and the ooma jack labeled wall into a RJ-11 standard wall jack and I have a blue light and I can make ooma calls crystal clear on the phone.

My problem is if I disconnect the Comcast Phone modem from the house rj-11 jack I get a red light on my ooma and am dead in the water. What will I do when I cancl comcast voice and they take their phone modem back?

Do I have my configuration set up properly?

Why will the ooma not work without the comcast phone modem?

I am porting the number and have not received the confirmation email yet. I just want to make sure I am squared away before I disconnect from comcast. My wife would KILL ME if she had no phone...

Does anyone have any advice on why I can't get it to work independently?

I am sure there has to be someone out there in ooma land that has dumped Comcast Digital Voice and moved over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Auldy

plasmo

Re: Without Comcast Digital Voice Modem Ooma dosn't work

Post by plasmo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:42 pm

I also have Comcast Digital Voice (and Cable, and Hi speed internet).... I placed the ooma Port order around 1/3/09, and have received confirmation that my port will take place around 1/23/09.... so i'm waiting for this.

As far as your setup, it's similar to mine.
I also noticed that If I remove the phone cable that goes into my comcast Cable modem, then I have no phone, and ooma goes red.

I'll let you know what happens when the Port goes through.

Are you sure Comcast will take away your CableModem? Don't you have Hi-speed internet service thru them? if so, they shouldn't take away the cablemodem because the Voice and Hispeed internet use the same device.
...anyways, you need Hi-speed internet service in order for ooma to work, so i'm sure you have internet service thru Comcast, so you shouldn't have a problem.

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:59 pm

Once the port is complete and land line service cancelled are there any steps we need to take? I was told by customer service that the way my account is setup Ooma won't work without the land line. Does that land line requirement change automatically once the port completes? Also, During this porting process is my land line used by Ooma to complete other Ooma customers calls to my local calling area?
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:52 am

AngelaKendig wrote:Once the port is complete and land line service cancelled are there any steps we need to take? I was told by customer service that the way my account is setup Ooma won't work without the land line. Does that land line requirement change automatically once the port completes? Also, During this porting process is my land line used by Ooma to complete other Ooma customers calls to my local calling area?
When you choose to use ooma with your existing phone service (e.g. so you can make and receiving calls on your same phone number during the porting process), the ooma Hub requires an active phone line (e.g. something that supplies voltage) to be plugged into the WALL port.

There's ways to work around the above requirement (e.g. you could plug the Scout directly into the WALL port), but then you wouldn't be able to receive phone calls on your existing phone number during the porting process.

After the port completes, your account will be switched be a stand-alone service, removing the requirement that an active telephone connection be plugged into the WALL port.

ooma is not routing calls over other user's landlines -- check out this recent post on Amazon.
Bobby B

plasmo

Post by plasmo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:46 am

...so I got an email (and also a phone call from Ooma that I missed) indicating my Port from Comcast Digital Voice was completed.

... smooth without problems. (just a lot of waiting).

Port requested: 1/3/09
Port completed: 1/23/09

The email I got from ooma stated that I had to call to cancel my phone service from my company.

When I called Comcast, they said that they already had ported the #, and the service was already cancelled. Did others have the same response?

skellener

Post by skellener » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 am

plasmo wrote:...so I got an email (and also a phone call from Ooma that I missed) indicating my Port from Comcast Digital Voice was completed.

... smooth without problems. (just a lot of waiting).

Port requested: 1/3/09
Port completed: 1/23/09

The email I got from ooma stated that I had to call to cancel my phone service from my company.

When I called Comcast, they said that they already had ported the #, and the service was already cancelled. Did others have the same response?
Three weeks is exactly how long mine took as well (and what I expected). I had to call and cancel my AT&T line and my long distance Qwest line. It wasn't automatic.