ooma, no telco, DirecTV (regional sports network)

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
BruceG
ooma, no telco, DirecTV (regional sports network)

Post by BruceG » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:40 am

I'm in the process of moving from a tradition setup (Comcast cable and Internet, ATT POTS) to the following:

TV: Direct TV, including locals and regional sports (SF Bay Area)

Internet: DSL Extreme DSL (dry loop)

Phone: ooma (no land line backup)

The only issue I've discovered is the statement from a DirecTV rep that to have the regional sports programming (not Sunday ticket or any of the extra cost packages, just the regional sports programming that comes with the local area) I must have a tradition land line phone available for the receiver to confirm blackout info.

However that seems to be contradicted by several posts on the forum here.

If anyone can give me a definitive answer I'd appreciate it. I want to place the order for DirecTV shortly, but may alter my plans if necessary.

TIA,

Bruce

AngelaKendig

Re: ooma, no telco, DirecTV (regional sports network)

Post by AngelaKendig » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:51 pm

DirecTV has a new HD, no phone required box according to marklib. Read the thread "Anyone got Ooma & TiVo?"

Dish network box works according to oomaer. Read the thread "Worried about TiVO".

Good luck.
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

BruceG

Post by BruceG » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks for your input.

Bruce

skellener

Post by skellener » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:47 pm

I have DirecTV (HD DVR) and an Ooma hooked up. While I haven't made any pay-per-view purchases, I do have the the DVR hooked to the Ooma hub though the phone line port. Caller ID seems to work fine. I don't see why anything else wouldn't work.