Ooma Xbox Live and Windows Media Center/Extender issues

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rvince
Ooma Xbox Live and Windows Media Center/Extender issues

Post by rvince » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:44 am

Hello folks,
got a newly installed ooma system, but due to the ip address magic it does, seems to conflict with the ability to set up an xbox 360 as a windows media center extender. Tried to play with the DMZ zone, but don't want to mess up the settings too much before I get a real answer on this. The ooma is in a 172 address range, and my verizon fios actiontec router is pumping out 192 dhcp's (xbox is in this section along with the router as the gateway), so I don't think the two are playing nice together. I am able to access the internet thru the 360 and log onto xbox live, just not able to use it as an extender. I'm running Vista Home premium (i know, but it came with the box). Don't think its a firewall issue as I tried with all firewalls disabled and still no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

scots

Re: Ooma Xbox Live and Windows Media Center/Extender issues

Post by scots » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:30 am

I'm guessing you've got the Vista PC connected to the ooma hub...correct? Your Vista PC and your Xbox are basically on different networks since they're in different IP ranges. The easiest way to get things working is to attach them both to the same device (either ooma Hub or Verizon router) so they're both on the same network/in the same IP address range. If you don't need wireless for either one, you can pick up a switch pretty cheap and plug that in to either the ooma Hub or the Verizon router to give you additional wired ports if needed.

rvince

Post by rvince » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:40 am

Thanks for getting back to me Scots,
Yes the Vista pc is hooked into the ooma hub, and if I do an ipconfig, i do get an ooma range. Yet if I look at my network, the vista pc shows up on my verizon router with a 192 address, so I'm a bit confused. Is it doing some sort of ip conversion I'm unaware of? The oooma installation instructions said I had to plug my pc into it, wasn't sure if I could get it to work any other way. Verizon router to Ooma, ooma to pc. All my other devices are working off the verizon wireless router.
I do use wireless in the house but probably have an extra wireless router hanging around too, so if you don't mind diagramming a hookup that you think would work, i'd much appreciate it.

scots

Post by scots » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:47 am

The main reason they tell you to connect things to the ooma Hub is so the Hub can control Quality Of Service (QOS) to ensure your call quality is high. If you have a fast/good internet connection you shouldn't nave to worry too much about this. Also, you don't HAVE to connect your PC to the ooma Hub, however you won't be able to access the Hub's config page if you don't. If you don't have a need to access the Hub's config page, then you don't need to connect a PC to it. You can connect a PC to the Hub only when you need access to the Hub's config page and have it connected to your router the rest of the time if you want.

My setup is cable modem, router attached to cable modem, ooma hub attached to router. All my computers, Xbox, etc connect to my router. I don't have anything attached to my ooma Hub other than the Scout and phones.