Ooma Hub is warm to the touch

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
murphy
Re: Ooma Hub is warm to the touch

Post by murphy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:07 am

allo wrote:
murphy wrote:The highest temperature on the surface of my hub is 88 degrees F. The fans in my MacBook Pro start speeding up at 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). The hub is in no danger at all at 88 degrees F.
I am not so sure about that... ask any electronic /computer component expert and they will tell you a permanent 88 degrees F for any electronic device is not good in the long run! If nothing else, it would shorten/halve the life of the device!
The 88F is on the surface... the interior of the case is usually a few degrees higher!
Ok, I asked myself ;) . At 88 degrees F there is no danger to the equipment.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:10 am

I'm in South Florida, and turn my air conditioner off during the day when I go to work.

During the summer months (about 8 of them), the inside of my house is between 87 and 89 degrees while I am at work.

So, the inside of my Hub will be pretty warm during that timeframe.

The 88 degrees of the outside of your Hub right now is probably based on it being in a cool house right now. Not the case with me during the summer.

allo

Post by allo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:26 am

joeed2 wrote:I'm in South Florida, and turn my air conditioner off during the day when I go to work.
During the summer months (about 8 of them), the inside of my house is between 87 and 89 degrees while I am at work.

So, the inside of my Hub will be pretty warm during that timeframe.

The 88 degrees of the outside of your Hub right now is probably based on it being in a cool house right now. Not the case with me during the summer.
I would try to keep it at 82F instead of turning off the AC altogether... At 82F-83F power consumption is minimal and insignificant if with Heat Pump!
Cooling down from 89F every evening is more expensive than keeping it at 82F during the day.
Last edited by allo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:31 am

Sorry, I can't afford the $500 electric bill if I run the A/C during the day...

That sucker gets turned off. When I turn it on when I get home, it cools down in less than 20 minutes.

allo

Post by allo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:37 am

joeed2 wrote:Sorry, I can't afford the $500 electric bill if I run the A/C during the day...

That sucker gets turned off. When I turn it on when I get home, it cools down in less than 20 minutes.
I have a 2000sf house and 540sf garage also cooled (separately) and the highest monthly bill I had this summer (which was unusually hot) was $222, keeping it at 77F all day and 80F during sleep.
May be you need a higher SEER Heat pump.

allo

Post by allo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:47 am

Groundhound wrote:
allo wrote: I am not so sure about that... ask any electronic /computer component expert and they will tell you a permanent 88 degrees F for any electronic device is not good in the long run! If nothing else, it would shorten/halve the life of the device!
The 88F is on the surface... the interior of the case is usually a few degrees higher!
The CPU on my laptop typically runs at 159 deg. F, and has been for years. It is set to warn at 176 and shutdown at 203. At 125 degrees the fan's not even running.
The question here is, do you keep the laptop on 24/7 like the Hub/Telo!

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:07 am

allo wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
allo wrote: I am not so sure about that... ask any electronic /computer component expert and they will tell you a permanent 88 degrees F for any electronic device is not good in the long run! If nothing else, it would shorten/halve the life of the device!
The CPU on my laptop typically runs at 159 deg. F, and has been for years. It is set to warn at 176 and shutdown at 203. At 125 degrees the fan's not even running.
The question here is, do you keep the laptop on 24/7 like the Hub/Telo!
Usually, yes. I often stop the processor intensive stuff when I'm not using it, but even when idle it stays at around 125 degrees, which is much higher than 88 and causes no problems at all.

DougInAZ

Post by DougInAZ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:58 pm

When I measured the power on my ooma hub several months ago, it was about 7 watts. Who cares what the case temperature is? You can't judge the comfort of the electronics based upon a human comfort reference level. The thing that kills electronics is temperature cycling, junction temperature of active components, and power dissipation respect to rating of other components.

Our house runs temp runs in the low to mid 80s in the summer and ooma gets along just fine although it is plenty warm to the touch. Although the dissipaion of the ooma hub is higher than I would like, I don't have any concerns that it is going to die just because the case feels a bit warm. Only long term reliability data will show if the design is problematic.