LOA Security Issues

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
hwgang
LOA Security Issues

Post by hwgang » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:31 am

I have 2 numbers to port and would like to fax in the LOA ASAP.

BUT.

I am really uncomfortable with giving out the last 4 of my social and, for that matter, my birth date and month. This is the kind of bedrock personal info that even in snippets seems unnecessary for mere phone service. I increasingly get asked for this info and I always refuse.

I called Ooma support today and was told to just write a note, but the tech had no idea if they'd accept it or not. I want to know what the deal is before I fax.

PIN number? I'm there. Security question? Bring it on. Social security snippets? No way. I'm dealing with, the FIFTH security breach on my banking info as it is. All through retail outlets....not my fault. I swear my bank card is replaced at least twice a year for this reason.

Please tell me that this isn't a deal-breaker and that someone among us has "been there/done that" and come up with an agreeable alternative for security purposes.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: LOA Security Issues

Post by Bobby B » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:28 pm

I talked to our support team on this -- in some instances (for example when we need to port mobile numbers), we need the last 4 digits of the SSN. It should be OK to just leave the SSN field blank, but please be sure to include a copy of your phone bill with your fax.
Bobby B

hwgang

Re: LOA Security Issues

Post by hwgang » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Thank you, Bobby. I've run this by two Ooma support techs, too, (I can give you names) but just to let one more person know: My Vonage bill is in my business name. I foolishly put my Ooma account under my personal name but I have linked the two in caller ID. (Two numbers, one personal name (same as my ID here in the forums) and one biz name. I was told to put a note on the Vonage bill when I fax it and on the LOA forms.

I should also change the business address on my Ooma account. The billing address will then be different than the physical address, but it will match my Vonage bill.

Thanks for checking into this for me.