FTP Setup for a NAS

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
gpochet
FTP Setup for a NAS

Post by gpochet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I just bought a DNS-321 NAS. i am trying to setup FTP for this NAS. Is there anything I need to do to the OOMA setup to get a FTP server working? My WAN of my router does not seem to be visable outside of my network. When I run a utility to figure out my WAN, it tells me my WAN is the IPADDRESS of my OOMA, which is different than my router's WAN. I thought my router was still controlling my WAN.

gpochet

Re: FTP Setup for a NAS

Post by gpochet » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 am

I do have the standard, default setup where the OOMA is in front of the router. I am thinking that I have to put the OOMA behind the router, but I would like to try to avoid that. Is there a way I can forward the FTP port on the OOMA machine?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:03 am

Ooma port forwarding rules are set in http://setup.ooma.com > Advanced (scroll to bottom). Folks have varying degrees of success with using Ooma's capability for this, so you may need to put your Ooma behind your router to achieve what you want, and set up any needed QoS in the router's config.

gpochet

Post by gpochet » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 pm

thanks for the info, groundhound. There is no option for forwarding a FTP port. The only options are TCP, UDP, TCP&UDP. I will look into putting the OOMA behind the router

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 pm

gpochet wrote:thanks for the info, groundhound. There is no option for forwarding a FTP port. The only options are TCP, UDP, TCP&UDP. I will look into putting the OOMA behind the router
Open TCP port 21 to the NAS IP Address.
Go AVS!

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:23 am

gpochet wrote:thanks for the info, groundhound. There is no option for forwarding a FTP port. The only options are TCP, UDP, TCP&UDP. I will look into putting the OOMA behind the router
Another option is simply to put your router into the DMZ of your OOMA. I would really suggest this in most cases where you have the OOMA in front of a router. This way, you only have to configure your router for firewall rules.

floydb

Post by floydb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Hello All-

I have been trying to get and FTP server to work with no luck and didn't understand this option mentioned about putting my router in the OOMA DMZ. My setup is Cable Modem-->OOMA-->Linksys Router-->FTP Server (running on Network Storage link hooked to a 500G Maxtor External Drive). When I remove my OOMA from the equation, all works fine and I am able connect to my FTP server from a DOS prompt. When I put OOMA back into the configuration...nothing works.

I configured port forwarding correctly, so I assume this functinality is just crappy from ooma.

Do I have other options that don't leave my network exposed (DMZs scare me a bit), or am I SOL.

btw- I am no techy...just a regular joe muddling through, so "big animal picture" recommendations are MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:42 pm

floydb wrote:Do I have other options that don't leave my network exposed (DMZs scare me a bit), or am I SOL.
You should not be concerned about putting your router into Ooma's DMZ from a security standpoint. It just means your router should be exposed to all communication from your modem, like when the Ooma is not there. Your router still protects your network.

floydb

Post by floydb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 am

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean I just put the external IP address of my router into the ooma DMZ field? Is that all there is to it?

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 am

floydb wrote:Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean I just put the external IP address of my router into the ooma DMZ field? Is that all there is to it?
If you want to lock it so the routers WAN IP address can't change, edit the DHCP server in the ooma to only issue one IP address by making the start and end IP address 172.27.35.2. Also put 172.27.35.2 in the DMZ field. Reboot your router or if you know how, log into the router and do a release followed by a renew of the router's WAN IP address.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx