Faxing Emergency

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
hwgang
Re: Faxing Emergency

Post by hwgang » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:01 am

One fax successfully SENT. My sign of relief is enormous. Now to see if I can send.

hwgang

Post by hwgang » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 am

EUREKA! I can receive now, too. Removing the Telo seems to have made the difference. I will problem-solve that part when my ability to communicate via fax is not critical as it is right now.

Thanks to everyone for your efforts and good thoughts.

Potts

Post by Potts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:12 am

I use HP Officejet 5610 to fax, since getting Ooma, I used it to fax. although the 5610 read fax successfully SENT. They never received it. I did a scan of the documents and sent it email. Maybe this would work better.
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

yawky

Post by yawky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 am

I found this link that helps with the fax settings/directions for the most common machines. I hope it helps some.......It did for me!! :D
http://www.voipmechanic.com/aboutus.htm

Best of luck!!

oomg

Post by oomg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:35 am

These problems can be avoided rather easily. From another thread:
9204wilson wrote:Ooma needs to integrate a fax service to its list of premier features. For example, I would like to use one of my two phone numbers to recieve faxes in addition to voice calls. Rather then print the fax out from a fax machine, I would rather have the fax turned into a PDF and emailed to me and/or made available for downloaded from "My Ooma." Then, I can save it to my computer, print it or forward it to by email to whomever I wish. Currently with a fax machine connected to Ooma, if I am away from home, I cannot get the faxes because they are sitting printed tray of the fax machine. But, if they were emailed to me, I would be able to get them in my email.

I am sure that the Telo can determine the difference between a voice call and a fax. Then, if it is a fax being received, there could be a distintive ring notifying of the inbound fax so the call is not answered. Or, don't even have the telephone ring, just have a fax sent to email. There really is no need for the phone to ring. I would think that with Ooma's great engineering knowlege, this would be easy to implement. And, what a nice extra selling feature for the product.
This feature request has been requested before. My position is unchanged. I would prefer that Ooma continue to do what it does best... provide quality VOIP service.

To be sure, I don't fault the request. However, there are services available for as little as $1.00 (that's right, one dollar) per month that will provide for unlimited incoming faxes that are converted to PDF and forwarded to the subscriber's email as a PDF attachment. And, for that price they will provide a dedicated fax number. For $2.95 per month, they will fax all incoming faxes to as many as five email addresses (think of a dedicated archive), and provide outgoing fax service by attaching a PDF document to a fax cover page for 2.5 cents per page. See:
http://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp

Of course, if you can scan your documents and send them as a PDF attachment, it would be just as easy and zero cost to send them via email attachment. Well, there are still some people or businesses who have a fax but not a computer. But, you get the picture... I think the fax is almost obsolete, although they may continue to exist for a number of years into the future. One side benefit. Since I started using an e-fax service, incoming junk faxes have ceased.

Now, I know that the foregoing probably would not have helped in the emergency fax situation. But, the sign up to OneSuite is easy and doing so may have provided a quicker solution to the emergency if the documents to be faxed were capable of being scanned.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.