Does internet slow down when using phone with ooma service?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
gaurirahul
Does internet slow down when using phone with ooma service?

Post by gaurirahul » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 am

I am running into a problem where my internet connection slows down everytime we use the house phone through Ooma service. Is anyone experiencing the same problem? Is there a solution to this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

murphy

Re: Does internet slow down when using phone with ooma service?

Post by murphy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:42 am

What is the speed of your internet service? down/up
What is the type of your internet service? cable, FIOS, DSL?
Do you have a router?
Is the ooma hub ahead of or behind the router?

gaurirahul

Post by gaurirahul » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:51 am

yes, i have optimum cable service. i do have a router and the ooma hub is connected in front of the router......should i connect the router directly from the cable modem and then connect the router to the ooma hub? i think i tried that and didn't get a connection when i dialed out....

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:29 am

When you're on a call, ooma's QoS will activate and will throttle your Internet upstream speed to 384 Kbps (by default). Out of that chunk, ooma will reserve about 100 Kbps for voice and control traffic. Your downstream speed shouldn't really be affected, since QoS is disabled by default in the downstream direction. This article has some additional details on adjusting the QoS upstream bandwidth values to mitigate this effect on your upstream traffic:

QoS Article

To test if QoS is really the cause of the slowdowns, I might try disabling it first (set it to "0") and then pick up the phone and try some Internet speed tests.

johnnyrod

Post by johnnyrod » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:06 pm

I had the same problem, but found a really simple solution. I had the modem, router, and ooma all too close together. When I space them out on different shelves of a bookcase my wireless speed went back up to normal. Must be all the EM waves from the OOMA messing up the wireless router signal.

gaurirahul

Post by gaurirahul » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks.....I'll try the possible resolutions and let you guys know if I still experience the same problem still.