Blocking "Unavailable" Numbers

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
matthewsage
Blocking "Unavailable" Numbers

Post by matthewsage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 pm

I regularly receive telemarketing calls from numbers that are listed as "Unavailable" in both the phone number and name fields when looking at the Ooma call log. I have the option in the Ooma Lounge to block anonymous calls, however these "Unavailable" calls are not being blocked. I think Ooma might be handle calls that have no Caller ID info differently than those that choose to purposefully block their caller ID info.

The problem is I have no way to tell Ooma to not accept, or even send straight to voicemail, calls without Caller ID info. In order to set up a personal blacklist it has have some kind of phone number. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get these calls blocked? I get 4-6 a day and it is very annoying. Thanks for the help.

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Re: Blocking "Unavailable" Numbers

Post by Mojo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi Matthew, try enabling the "Anonymous Call Blocking" feature. It should block or forward to voicemail callers that withhold their caller-ID information. The feature can be found on Preferences->Privacy page.

matthewsage

Post by matthewsage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Mojo,

Thank you for responding. I have already tried using the "Anonymous Call Blocking" option, but it doesn't seem to work for "Unavailable" callers. I think that it only applies to Blocked or Private caller ID signs. In other words, those that have CallerID info but choose not to send it.

I would like to block "Unavailable" numbers, or those who have no CallerID information whatsoever. Ooma apparently makes a distinction between these two groups.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Are you trying to use anonymous call blocking on your landline phone number? If so, do you have caller-ID enabled on your landline?

Right now, anonymous call blocking and blacklisting doesn't work on landline phone numbers, but it should be available soon (hopefully by next month).
Bobby B

matthewsage

Post by matthewsage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Bobby:

Thank you for the answer, that clears everything up. I am using the phone number for my existing phone line while the number is being ported. That explains why calls are not being blocked.

Hopefully when the number finally ports over the Call Blocking features will work.