Odd happenings

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
marksfamily84
Odd happenings

Post by marksfamily84 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:59 pm

My daughter in law called my Ooma line and it rang to my cell phone. Funny thing is I don't have premier and my cell is not listed as a forwarding number.

Wife called neighbor across the street with number ending XX70 using phone's phone book so she did not misdial manually. Funny sound and then someone answers but they live across town and have phone number similar to neighbor's except ends in XX77. Wife calls neighbor on cell and they say their home phone had just rang twice but no one was there.

We have Ooma hub and cordless phones.

southsound

Re: Odd happenings

Post by southsound » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:16 pm

marksfamily84 wrote:My daughter in law called my Ooma line and it rang to my cell phone. Funny thing is I don't have premier and my cell is not listed as a forwarding number.
Very strange indeed. If your cell is not in any way associated withe the ooma, how did it ring that number? Is there a chance your DIL dialed your cell by mistake?
Wife called neighbor across the street with number ending XX70 using phone's phone book so she did not misdial manually. Funny sound and then someone answers but they live across town and have phone number similar to neighbor's except ends in XX77. Wife calls neighbor on cell and they say their home phone had just rang twice but no one was there.
I wonder if there might be some interference from the cordless phone? Could you share what type phone (2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, or DECT 6.0) and if you are using a wireless router in your home?
We have Ooma hub and cordless phones.
There was once a bug with the Telo that caused repeated digits but it has been fixed long ago. I am not aware of this behavior on the hub at all.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

marksfamily84

Post by marksfamily84 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:33 pm

DIL claims she went to her cell phonebook and thought she was dialing our home number (ooma). She looked at call log and it seems to be our home number she dialed. It could possibly be a fluke.

We have 5.8 ghz Panasonic phones. Model 6HCSA
We do use a D-link wireless router but we did as ooma requested and put internet into ooma and then come off of ooma to router.

Could it be possible that hub has double digit problem? We love Ooma and want this thing to work.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:03 pm

marksfamily84 wrote:My daughter in law called my Ooma line and it rang to my cell phone. Funny thing is I don't have premier and my cell is not listed as a forwarding number.
Out of curiosity has Ooma ever had your cell phone number, possibly you used Ooma to call your cell or vice versa for testing purposes, or it was given in some other part of activation or billing. Is the cell number in your call history at Ooma? It obviously is very unlikely the Ooma servers just pulled a number from thin air and it happened to be your cell. Determining where the number exists at Ooma might help figuring out where the mixup is happening. Just wondering where they could have gotten your number from, not saying that Ooma is using that number appropriately.

marksfamily84

Post by marksfamily84 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Yes my cell number is listed on my ooma profile. But as I mentioned I do not have premier and did not use my cell for a forwarding number when I was in the free premier trial time frame. In fact, I don't think we used the forwarding at any time since we started with ooma.

What about the double digit thing?

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

marksfamily84 wrote:Yes my cell number is listed on my ooma profile. But as I mentioned I do not have premier and did not use my cell for a forwarding number when I was in the free premier trial time frame. In fact, I don't think we used the forwarding at any time since we started with ooma.
This is a very big long-shot guess - - but in one of Rich Buchanan's tweets (Nov 29, 2009) he promised "Call Forward on Network Outage" will be added as a Basic (non-Premier) Hub feature. -- Maybe they are using the cell number in your profile while messing with fixing the call forwarding bug. See my post today here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5597

Bill

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Not sure about the double digit problem. Others seems to have more experience with that.

Did DILs call just ring your phone or did it actually forward her call, as in you picked up and spoke to her?

Ooma had problems with one of their upgrades recently and it had something to do with notifications. They had to revert some changes. I'm wondering if something got corrupted or moved to the wrong field in a database, and possibly something you have configured like voice mail SMS notifications is now ringing the phone instead of SMS'ing the phone.

Like the previous post, this is also a long shot, I'm just thinking out loud.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 pm

marksfamily84 wrote:DIL claims she went to her cell phonebook and thought she was dialing our home number (ooma). She looked at call log and it seems to be our home number she dialed. It could possibly be a fluke.

We have 5.8 ghz Panasonic phones. Model 6HCSA
We do use a D-link wireless router but we did as ooma requested and put internet into ooma and then come off of ooma to router.

Could it be possible that hub has double digit problem? We love Ooma and want this thing to work.
I'm glad that the cell number > ooma question has been cleared up. That was a real puzzler.

Best of my knowledge, the hub has never had a doubled digit problem. I've had mine for almost a year now, Telo since August. I think the Telo dialing problem was during beta - I don't think it ever went to release. The hub has consistently delivered good DTMF (touchtone) signals for me. I wonder if it was just a fluke. Keep track of what is happening and let us know if it repeats itself or if you are able to recreate the situation. I have a slight feeling it might be the Pany 5.8ghz phones but then again, I don't know if that model uses 2.4ghz for signaling. Maybe somone else can answer that for us.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

marksfamily84

Post by marksfamily84 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Never configured for sms notification and I just checked and it is not checked.

Systems can burp from time to time. I just hope this is not going to be a consistent problem. I know I have told people that the Big Bell People had problems (and still have problems) and most of their clients just deal with it. I like saving money and I can handle a few isolated events. I just thought you may be able check and see if others have had this problem or others may read this and chime in.

Fam

Post by Fam » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 am

Just chiming in saying I have the same issue with ringing my cell phone when getting.

I did use the forwarding service on outage while I had premier but disabled it before the trial expired. I just enabled email and SMS when I receive a VM and that's when the simultaneous ring began. I removed both options and my cell phone number from my profile and it still does it.

Hopefully this is a blip and gets solved. It's not a show stopper but it is quite annoying.