Number porting question

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
gohawks
Number porting question

Post by gohawks » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 am

Ooma said it couldn't port my (longtime) landline number and they also couldn't assign me a number in my area code. Someone mentioned in an earlier topic that you could try porting a landline number to an AT&T Go Phone. After that is accomplished you could (presumably) then port the number from AT&T to Ooma. Is this possible? Thanks.

gohawks

Re: Number porting question

Post by gohawks » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:57 pm

I've decided to do this so I'll report back in a few weeks with the outcome.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 am

This probably wouldn't work -- if the area code an prefix (e.g. YYY-ZZZ) isn't in an area where can port, then we don't be able to port the number, irregardless of which provider we're porting from.
Bobby B

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 am

Bobby B wrote:This probably wouldn't work -- if the area code an prefix (e.g. YYY-ZZZ) isn't in an area where can port, then we don't be able to port the number, irregardless of which provider we're porting from.
Others have reported success.
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

gohawks

Post by gohawks » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Bobby B wrote:This probably wouldn't work -- if the area code an prefix (e.g. YYY-ZZZ) isn't in an area where can port, then we don't be able to port the number, irregardless of which provider we're porting from.
I guess I can't resolve this, so unfortunately, I'll be returning it. I bought ooma because I wanted to get rid of this bill altogether. It isn't important to me to keep my current landline number, but at the very least I wanted a one with a local prefix within my area code. Should have done my homework.. my fault.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Did you already ask the support rep if they could order a number in your local calling area? Sometimes we have the ability to do so.
Bobby B

gohawks

Post by gohawks » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Bobby B wrote:Did you already ask the support rep if they could order a number in your local calling area? Sometimes we have the ability to do so.
I'll do that first-- thanks for your help.