Scout Troubles

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
koehn
Scout Troubles

Post by koehn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:48 pm

I just got my Ooma, and when the Scout didn't work (all four lights on full) I thought, "Oh well. I needed to replace the last of the legacy wiring in my house anyway." So I pulled out the last of the ancient (circa 1941) wiring and replace it with nice, healthy Cat3. Problem Solved!

Or so I thought. But the Scout still shows the four bottom lights on full, despite the fact that I get the Ooma dialtone all over the house. I even went so far as to connect the Scout directly to the base (connecting the "wall" of port of the Scout to the "Phone" jack on the base), no difference.

Do I have a bad Scout/hub? What do I need to do to get it replaced? Again, the Ooma itself works fine, it's just the Scout that's a problem.

WayneDsr

Re: Scout Troubles

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 pm

To test the Scout, connect the WALL on the hub to WALL on the Scout.

I'm thinking you have the hub installed wrong.

Connect the WALL of the hub into the phone jack in the wall. (If you are using the wall jack for your internet connection, use the adaptor that came with your ooma system to add another connection for the WALL.)

Connect the PHONE jack on the hub to a phone.

Connect the Scout to a different wall jack using the WALL connection on the Scout. This should connect the Scout to the hub via house wiring.
Plug another phone into the Scout PHONE jack.

Hope this helps.
Wayne

koehn

Re: Scout Troubles

Post by koehn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm

You were exactly right, of course. Once I grokked that part (it wasn't intuitive since I have phone service from my cable modem, I didn't consider that the Ooma uses the phone line for POTS service as well as for networking the other devices.

When I hooked the Scout up to the correct side of the base, strangely enough it worked perfectly! I had a bit of rewiring to do since my hub is in the basement, our two phones are on the first floor, and I only have one scout, but a few minutes later I'm all set up!

Oh, well. At least the wiring in my house is fully modernized now!

Thanks for the kind advice!