DSL problems connecting to WALL

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
WayneDsr
DSL problems connecting to WALL

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:16 pm

I seem to have a new developing problem. I've had ooma for about 3 weeks. Everything works fine. I connected the Scout to a wall jack in another room and connected my hub from the WALL out to the wall jack.

Everything worked fine. I really don't need this setup, it works just as well with the hub and Scout connected directly together, it's nice to have them on the desk together. The reason I connect to the wall is to have the landline take over if the ooma system goes down.

I decided to upgrade my DSL to 6.0 mbits from 3.0. The speed just didn't seem good at 3.0 It was running around 2.0 at best. I now am getting a bit over 5.
This morning I wake up and dsl is super slow. I can see the DSL light disconnecting and reconnecting. I thought maybe the phone company was working on it.
I decided to get on the landline phone and give them a call. The landline was dead.
I ran a wire out to the phone box outside and connected directly to it. Not only was the landline back, but the DSL was back at 5 mbits.

After playing around a bit and inspecting all the wiring I found the problem was with the ooma hub connected to the wall. As soon as I disconnect the hub from the wall everything comes back up to speed.

After I was sure everything was working fine, I once again plugged the hub into wall (via dual jack supplied) and my internet stops! Unplug it and after a bit, the connection comes back.

Anyone else have this kind of problem?
Could this be due to the increase in speed?

Thanks,
Wayne

murphy

Re: DSL problems connecting to WALL

Post by murphy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:08 pm

You need to separate the phone line feed to the DSL modem from the rest of the house wiring. Use the spare pair of wires (yellow/black) to do this and install a new jack at the location of the DSL modem.

The incoming phone line from the street goes to two places. The first is direct to the DSL modem and ONLY to the DSL modem. The second is to a DSL filter. The output of the DSL filter feeds all of the house jacks. No other DSL filters should be installed anywhere in the house. Now you can plug the wall jacks of the hub and the scout into any wall jacks in your house.

If you have one of those dual DSL filters that have a modem port and a phone port you can use it but it must be located where the phone line comes into the house. The modem port is the feed direct to the DSL modem and the phone port is the feed for the rest of the house. Again there should be no other DSL filters in the house.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:40 pm

My DSL is on the same phone line as the voice. I don't see anyway of separating them. Am I not understanding you?

Ok, if that is what you are saying, I do have two lines straight from the box to the modem. I used to have a second line hooked up.
If there is enough room in the phone box I could put a dual dsl/phone filter there. Not sure if there is enough room. Then I could connect the second line to the PHONE side of the filter. The second line is already wired in the house and I have a 2 line jack at the modem jack. All I would need to do is change to the other pair for my landline/scout.
I think I have it.

Does that sound right?
Thanks.
Wayne

number9

Post by number9 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:29 pm

From what i have read it seems that the DSL needs to be 'dry looped'. The phone and internet come in on the same line, which causes interference. Maybe I'm not understanding you, but it does sound as if you need to call your DSL provider and ask about dry looping.

Try this link, or search for dry loop in the forum search bar.

http://forums.ooma.com/search.php?keywo ... mit=Search
Plays PRS guitars

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 pm

WayneDsr wrote:My DSL is on the same phone line as the voice. I don't see anyway of separating them. Am I not understanding you?
Wayne
The incoming line carries DSL + phone.
The DSL filter does the separation into a line that supports DSL and a second line that has removed the DSL information leaving the phone circuit intact.

I am aware of two types of DSL filters. The simple one that has one input and one output. This strips the DSL signals from the output leaving just the phone line. The compound one that has one input and two outputs. One output lets through the DSL signal and the other output blocks the DSL signal.

You can use either version.

With the simple version you run the incoming phone line directly to the DSL modem and to the input of the simple filter. The output of the simple filter feeds all of the house phone wiring.

With the compound version the incoming line connects to the input of the filter. The modem output goes direct to the modem. The phone output feeds all of the house wiring.

You do not want the DSL signals to reach the wall jacks of the hub or the scout.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Yep, I know what dry loop is and I was considering doing that before porting my number over. This issue just snuck up on me.
I'm not sure if the wiring change will work. I duplicated it inside my house. The two rooms I need to connect are attached to each other. (small apt.) so it was easy to duplicate. Even though the line was completely isolated with a dsl filter, when I connected hub/wall, scout/wall, landline/ dsl filter /wall jack my internet speed went down. There is also a possibility that I may have a bad dsl filter. I used to have tons of them around, but now I can only find one!
I'll keep working on this.

number9

Post by number9 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I'm not as technical savvy as Murphy, so a call to the provider about dry looping seems easier. LOL

I'm also in Mishawaka!
Plays PRS guitars

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm a victium of the economy, am laid off after 20 years. I have all day to play with wiring!
When I'm done playing, of course I will go the dry loop route! :-)

Wayne