Anyone using ooma with alarm System?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
RickO
Anyone using ooma with alarm System?

Post by RickO » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 am

The only reason I've kept my basic landline service is that I'm concerned about ooma working with my alarm system. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with their security system and ooma? I wonder if I using a scout or another hub on the alarm line will work?

WayneDsr

Re: Anyone using ooma with alarm System?

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 am

Good question. I have a friend that wants to try ooma but was wondering the same thing.

Wayne

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:38 pm

I have ooma working fine with my alarm. All you need to do is make sure the dial tone from the ooma hub is going to your alarm. Most alarm systems are set up with the dial tone going first to the alarm system and then the alarm system passes the dial tone onto the rest of the house wiring. So if the alarm is tripped it will shut off the dial tone to the rest of the house while it dials out.
I traced the wiring in my house to figure this out and connected the "phone" outlet on my hub directly to the alarm system.
It works great!
Scott

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:21 pm

I imagine that would also work for Direct TV receivers as well.
Thanks.

Wayne

sgrunspan

didn't work for me

Post by sgrunspan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:29 am

My alarm, ADT in socal told me the only VOIP service the alarm is approved for use with is Time Warner Cable VOIP. In other words, it may work when you test it but it might not work when you need it. At least that's their official line.
Even connecting the alarm to the phone port on my ooma hub didn't work because of ooma's funky dial tone. YMMV.