Ooma router crashes Comcast modem

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Auldron
Ooma router crashes Comcast modem

Post by Auldron » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:02 am

Ok So after waiting 6 weeks to have my number ported I finally called Comcast they told me to disconnect my Digital voice modem which I did and return it to them. I did this and disconnected Ooma from the land line and it worked great. I have one main phone which I the answering machine turned off and 3 satellite phones. Everything was working great, on all phones. Nice solid blue light I go the the Gym for an hour and come home to no phone service. I check the Ooma hub and have a flashing red light. I press the flashing red tab and buttons 1 & 2 both light up at the same time. I check the manual and it says no connection to the Ooma network and to check the internet connection. I have lived in my current location for 2 years the the cable internet has NEVER gone out. I check the internet and it is indeed not connecting to the internet. On the Cable Modem I have a solid link light, power light, uplink light is flashing, but NADA on the Download light. I thought it wierd so I powercycled the cable modem and about 4 min later everything was working again. I thought it must be the cable connecton and happily worked on the internet for about an hour again. Later I went to make a phone call and the line was dead again. Same red blinking light, same lights on the cable modem. Why is my OOMA crashing my internet connection and only working for an hour or so? Does Comcast have a way of detecting it and hitting my modem to disconnect to force me to use their overpriced phone service? Someone please help.

Thanks

Auldy

koehn

Re: Ooma router crashes Comcast modem

Post by koehn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am

Did you have two modems: one for internet and another for voice? I ask since I too have comcast, but I have a single modem for both voice and internet (I'm still waiting for my number port to complete). I'll be switching to a new modem soon.

My guess is that your cable/cable modem is probably at fault. There's really nothing that the Ooma can do to cause your cable modem to crash: the Ooma is just another IP device communicating over a network.

In any case, the problem isn't ooma; you had it for six weeks and had no problems with your internet connection (during which time you used ooma for long-distance calls). Did you make any other configuration changes (e.g., move your cable modem to a different location, change which device is hooked up) when you removed your voice modem?

Auldron

Post by Auldron » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:08 am

I had two modems one for telephone and one cablemodem/wireless router. I made no other configuration changes other than removint the telephone modemWhich wasn't even plugged into ethernet. Any Ideas?

koehn

Post by koehn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:24 am

I'd call the cable company and let them figure out why their modem is crashing. They should be able to pull the modem's logs and investigate. Odds are they'll give you a new modem and you'll be all set.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 pm

on a web browser, go to http://192.168.100.1

post your modem signal levels.. let me see if they are in spec

inrame

Post by inrame » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

where is the ooma located, before the router or after? have you made configuration changes to any of the ip or dmz settings on the ooma hub or router recently?