My caller ID is incorrect

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Groundhound
Re: My caller ID is incorrect

Post by Groundhound » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Davesworld wrote:This has me wondering, it might matter which city you live in. This will at least tell you who owns your number: http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco
One of mine is owned by BellSouth (now AT&T) and the other is owned by XO. My BellSouth-owned number is one I've had for a number of years and was ported to Ooma from Comcast. My CNAM name was modified slightly (my choice) when I ported it over to Ooma and that change is reflected in the way it now shows up. My XO-owned number was assigned to me by Ooma and has the CNAM name exactly as I specified when I requested the number.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Groundhound wrote:
Davesworld wrote:This has me wondering, it might matter which city you live in. This will at least tell you who owns your number: http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco
One of mine is owned by BellSouth (now AT&T) and the other is owned by XO. My BellSouth-owned number is one I've had for a number of years and was ported to Ooma from Comcast. My CNAM name was modified slightly (my choice) when I ported it over to Ooma and that change is reflected in the way it now shows up. My XO-owned number was assigned to me by Ooma and has the CNAM name exactly as I specified when I requested the number.
Well, we have Hotlanta and South Jersey so far.

I take it that your ported number from Comcast originally was from when you had BellSouth service?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Davesworld wrote:I take it that your ported number from Comcast originally was from when you had BellSouth service?
Yes, except it spent a year at Sunrocket before Comcast, so BellSouth lost me as a phone customer some time ago.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:43 pm

My number, that was ported from AT&T, still shows the name registered with AT&T and hasn't been updated to my Ooma account info. My second number shows Private.

but2002

Post by but2002 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 pm

My number is owned by "LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC - OK"

but2002

Post by but2002 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm

Does Bobby or anyone else have more info on this?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:06 pm

but2002 wrote:Does Bobby or anyone else have more info on this?
More info on what?

The company that first issues a phone number owns it forever.

Even though my number has been ported to Ooma, it is owned by Verizon.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 pm

Sothe question is--- how the heck do I get my called id name to display when I call other people?

TWO MONTHS now. Still not working. Call to customer support went into a black hole.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

jemarti

Post by jemarti » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 pm

caseybea wrote:Sothe question is--- how the heck do I get my called id name to display when I call other people?

TWO MONTHS now. Still not working. Call to customer support went into a black hole.
Hope you have better luck with this than I have. I submitted a CNAM change back in December of '09. Four months later, and it's still show the wrong CNAM info 100% of the time, no matter who I call. I've wasted at least 5-6 hours talking to support.

I'm debating on whether to try support again, or just give up and move my number to another service that can actually change the CNAM info.

I wanted to be able to recommend Oooma to people, but this issue and Ooma's failure to resolve it have kept me from making any recommendations.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:04 pm

It is relatively inexpensive to just do a name change. I tried for over a year to get ooma to send my name with my caller id - then I found out that for $50 I cound have my name changed to Unavailable. I can't tell you how much better life is now that my caller ID and my name match. Now when I call people they say, "Oh - it's Unavailable. I think I'll take his call." Best $50 I ever spent. Since ooma was not able to make the change after at least 4 tickets (all closed by ooma) overmore than a year, I felt that I had to take charge. :P

Actually, my hub never gave my name after about 13 months. My Telo was spot on within a week. Go figure!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.