Is Anyone Monitoring Ooma Caller-ID With a PC Modem?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dogdad
Re: Is Anyone Monitoring Ooma Caller-ID With a PC Modem?

Post by dogdad » Wed May 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Scottlindner, are you suggesting I add a dsl filter at the modem? There is none in the line at present as I'm not using dsl. I'll give it a shot. I did try disconnecting the line from the "wall" port to the scout. I also tried disconnecting all devices except the pc from the wall jacks around the house. I wonder if some kind of noise is being induced into the telephone wiring from something.

dogdad

Post by dogdad » Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 pm

scottlindner wrote:Have any of you modem users tried using a DSL filter? The HPNA between the Ooma Hub and Scout could be the cause of your problems. Just a guess without really understanding how Caller ID works.
You may have hit on something Scott. I installed a spare dsl filter in the line to the pc modem, then made 4 calls to my home number, and the caller id was read immediately after the first ring on all 4 calls. I'll do some more testing, but I'm fairly confident that you have come up with a fix. Many thanks for the suggestion.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu May 21, 2009 4:08 am

dogdad wrote:Scottlindner, are you suggesting I add a dsl filter at the modem? There is none in the line at present as I'm not using dsl. I'll give it a shot. I did try disconnecting the line from the "wall" port to the scout. I also tried disconnecting all devices except the pc from the wall jacks around the house. I wonder if some kind of noise is being induced into the telephone wiring from something.
I know it sounds confusing. DSL and HPNA (the technology used to communicate with Scouts) use the same spectrum on the phone wires. So even though you don't have DSL, your Ooma is doing the same thing. Although I am confusing myself on this one. We use DSL filters so you don't get noise on phones, but why isn't that a problem with Ooma and our phones? Maybe lower power than DSL? I may have confused myself on this one, but it seems reasonable this may be related to the PC modem issue.

I'm glad it's working for you. Let it roll for a couple of weeks and post back if it continues to work.

Scott