Any Advice On This Situation??

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
scots
Any Advice On This Situation??

Post by scots » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to them, and if anyone has any advice on what to do about this...

I had 2 lines with AT&T CallVantage. I started a port of my second line to ooma about a month ago. I became unable to receive incoming calls on my second AT&T line on Thursday, but I was still able to place outgoing calls. Yesterday (which was 4 weeks since ooma confirmed that they had everything they needed from me to start the port) I received an e-mail from AT&T stating that they were disconnecting my second line. The line was disconnected shortly after I received the e-mail. Today everyone is still unable to call my number, so I called ooma. They told me that they had not received confirmation or an expected completion date for the port, but said they would check into it and see what was going on.

Ooma called me back and said that their carrier (not sure who their carrier is) had informed them that the port had not completed, that they don't have my number yet, that there had been no confirmation or expected date given, and that nobody on their end has done anything with my number yet. They suggested that I contact AT&T to see if I could get any info out of AT&T, so I called AT&T. All AT&T would say is that the number was disconnected yesterday, and the reason for the disconnection was that the port had completed. AT&T is saying they have no way to find out why ooma never received port confirmation or an expected port date, and said that they don't have any other info they can give me.

What do I do now? Have I lost my phone number?? The only department AT&T has available on weekends is Repair, so ooma suggested that I call AT&T back on Monday and ask to speak with a manager.

edit: A friend has told me that once a phone number leaves the "losing" provider (AT&T in my case), that it's completely out of the hands of the losing provider and there's not much they can do except maybe if they made a clerical error that caused the number to go to the wrong carrier. He said that if AT&T is saying the port has completed, then my number has gone somewhere and ooma needs to be more aggressive with their carrier (whoever their carrier is) to find out where my number has gone. Apparently there's something called a Neustar Port Database, and ooma (or their carrier) should be able to check this database to see which carrier currently has possession of my phone number. I guess I'll be talking to both AT&T and ooma on Monday. If I can't get anywhere with either AT&T or ooma I'll be filing a complaint with the FCC.

On a side note, the guy at ooma that I spoke with today (can't remember his name) was very friendly and seemed like he was doing everything he was able to do to try and help me. He told me twice that he would call me back, and he called me back both times right when he said he would call. That was quite nice, and very appreciated. Most companies these days seem to not call when they say they're going to, or they don't call at all.

scoutconnor

Re: Any Advice On This Situation??

Post by scoutconnor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Contact the FCC and file a complaint and inform them that ATT lost your number. From past experience I know this is very effective.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:10 am

That really sucks. I would raise hell if this happend to me. (losing my number)

I recall reading on dslreports that many have issues porting out a secondary Calladvantage number...

edit: actually I see you have posted ob DSL reports as well.

hope you get it straightened out. Please keep up posted

trim81

Post by trim81 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:26 am

Okay, I have an idea:

Call this SBC/ATT repair number and enter your tel #.. it will tell you which CLEC your # is handled by.

From there, contact either XO communications or whomeever is holding your number and ***try*** to get the number back!

866-346-1168

scots

Post by scots » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:40 am

trim81 wrote:Okay, I have an idea:

Call this SBC/ATT repair number and enter your tel #.. it will tell you which CLEC your # is handled by.

From there, contact either XO communications or whomeever is holding your number and ***try*** to get the number back!

866-346-1168
I tried calling the number. Instead of telling me the CLEC it said it was going to connect me to a repair representative. I hung up at that point because I wasn't sure if should be talking to a repair representative. I'm guessing that means my number is still with AT&T?

trim81

Post by trim81 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:46 am

Yes, sounds like you are still with Att

Why didn't you speak with repair?

In my opinion, they are the most knwledgable..you may get answers from them

scots

Post by scots » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:05 pm

trim81 wrote:Yes, sounds like you are still with Att

Why didn't you speak with repair?

In my opinion, they are the most knwledgable..you may get answers from them
Repair was who I spoke with when I first called AT&T yesterday (that's the only department they have open on weekends), and the guy wasn't any help. He said he saw that the line had been disconnected on Friday, and that the reason for disconnection was that the port had been completed. He said he had no way of knowing why ooma never received confirmation of the port or an expected completion date, and that there wasn't anything else he could do or any other info he could provide.

navarre

Post by navarre » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Here is my advice on the situation that you are in:

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

.mws.
.mws.

scots

Post by scots » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm going to give AT&T a second call on Monday, possibly mention the FCC, and see what happens. Ooma is supposed to call me back on Monday to see what happens with my AT&T call. I'll see if there's anything else ooma can do if I need to when they call me.

scots

Post by scots » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:31 am

Got up with someone at AT&T who could give me a little more info. She said that a port due date of 2/19 was provided to the carrier, and that the carrier took over my number on 2/19. She looked up the carrier and said that the carrier is ALEC, and said she wasn't familiar with that carrier. She did a 3-way call with me and attempted to call ooma, but we got dumped into the infamous "black hole" voicemail after about 30 minutes. I got off the phone with AT&T and tried calling ooma again.

Got someone at ooma that time and gave him the info I got from AT&T. He said they were still showing that the port had not completed. I asked him if ALEC was their carrier and he said no. He then put me on hold for a minute. When he came back he said that my number is in the process of porting today and it should be completed today.

I guess we'll see what happens...