Wireless router drops connections

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
shikarishambu
Wireless router drops connections

Post by shikarishambu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:07 pm

I have a setup as shown - Cable Modem > Ooma > Netgear Router, the cable modem being the first endpoint and the router being the last. I have noticed that my wireless connections tend to drop (at least once a day, which is lot more than what I experienced with Vonage). Usually, it comes back up without me having to reset the wireless router (which is not the case with Vonage).

Any idea why this is happening. I am guessing Ooma is the cause because that is the only thing that is new in this setup.

Thanks
ooma user since May 2008
still on the original white hub

johnboy

Re: Wireless router drops connections

Post by johnboy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:51 am

Hi...

I noted that no one at ooma has responded, so i thought i would give it a shot.

All that the configuration does cable modem - ooma - router, is feed your router with an internet signal from OOMA rather than from the cable modem.

So your post seemed to indicate that you were losing a connection between your wireless device and your router. That would have nothing to do with OOMA. In fact, if you unplug any internet source from your router, if you had a wireless connection before you should still have it... just no internet service.

if you meant to write that you are losing your INTERNET connection in this configuration, that's a different story. Because, of course, in this configuration where OOMA (hub) is "in front of" the router, the router is dependent on the signal from OOMA for internet service.

I have learned through lots of trial and error that cable internet has lots of variables. I have never had a problem using OOMA for phone service OR for up/downloading. BUT TOGETHER, I have had significant problems. I also have wiring and amplifier issues in my home which cause a problem delivering a clean cable internet signal to OOMA.

This may be fixed by a QOS adjustment in OOMA. you address your hub by typing setup.ooma.com and it is under the advanced section. This is more of an art than a science and the problem with the art is that my cable service keeps changing the paint colors.

If you understand what QOS is and how it works, try experimenting with that. Accept the advice from OOMA's techs initially and then play with those numbers by decreasing or increasing 100 at a time. I have mine as well tuned as can be - given my wiring circumstances. But it took trial and error.

Again, if you are losing your connection to the router all together, it has (should have) nothing to do with what's feeding the internet input port of the router.

John

BigTV

Post by BigTV » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 am

Hello shikarishambu,

you can try to configure the QoS,
http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/articl ... 02&p=12040

the best thing to do is call our support line so we can personally assist you.

Thank you

von

Post by von » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:05 am

I am having the same problem.
I have never had this problem before I had Ooma, and I have been using this particular wireless router for about 2 years before I got the Ooma service and never had the problem before then.
When my laptop lost the wireless connection today I picked up the hub and noticed that both the green and amber link lights on the "HOME" port were off for a minute or so...

shikarishambu wrote:I have a setup as shown - Cable Modem > Ooma > Netgear Router, the cable modem being the first endpoint and the router being the last. I have noticed that my wireless connections tend to drop (at least once a day, which is lot more than what I experienced with Vonage). Usually, it comes back up without me having to reset the wireless router (which is not the case with Vonage).

Any idea why this is happening. I am guessing Ooma is the cause because that is the only thing that is new in this setup.

Thanks

rohvemula

Post by rohvemula » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:22 pm

My name is Roh.

Yes, I get the same problem with HUB, when it is used to call, the internet connection gets disconnected.

any one got any better suggestion to resolve it.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:47 am

Hi von and shikarishambu - can you post what wireless router (make and model #) you are using and also what Internet service provider you are using?

Also, how frequently do you notice Internet drops? As a test for another data point, can you try plugging in the ooma Hub behind your wireless router and check if you still see Internet connection drops?

One other thing - the next time you experience a drop, can you send that information to ooma support? We can check to see if there's anything in the logs that would indicate a network problem.

-Bobby
Bobby B

rallapalli

Post by rallapalli » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:53 pm

I am a new OOMA customer. I connected my router behind Ooma hub and I started having wireless network drops. I connected my computer with wire and still I see connection drops.
Dlink Modem(DCM-202) -> Ooma Hub -> DLink Router(DI-624) -> PC

Before having Ooma I never experienced internet disconnections due to my router before.
Since we work from home several times using wireless connection, I can not give up wireless network for Ooma

Any help would be appreciated.