Odd communications failure with alarm system

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
goop
Odd communications failure with alarm system

Post by goop » Sat May 29, 2010 12:00 pm

My alarm system recently stopped playing nicely with Ooma (or vise-versa). Any help you have is appreciated:

1. Up until 5/27, everything was working fine.
2. Now, I have a persistent "communications failure" on my alarm panel.
3. My alarm dial code is: D1866349xxxx where the "D" stands for "wait for dial tone".
4. I tried to change my dial code to the following:
a) ppD1866349xxxx (where p's are 2 second pauses)
b) D*99p1866349xxxx
c) ppD*99p1866349xxxx
d) all the above permutations without the D
5. I have confirmed that the alarm panel is seizing the line properly

Some questions I have:
1. Is there any way to get the OOMA musical dialtone to just be a regular dial-tone?
2. Did anything specific change with the OOMA service level on 5/27?

The only other change in my system around that time was that my number port from time warner cable was completed. I used to have the old line in the Hub "Wall" port, but disconnected that. I was under the impression that this did not at all affect outbound calling (since that was happing over OOMA from day 1)? Is this possibly relevant?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

lbmofo

Re: Odd communications failure with alarm system

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Don't think there is any way to change the signature ooma dialtone.

After you got rid of the cable phone, are you distributing ooma dialtone to the same wall jack that your cable phone device used to?

goop

Post by goop » Sun May 30, 2010 9:38 am

Yes, I am distributing through the same wall jack and wiring that the cable VOIP used to.

I now know that the calling is working (ie. not a dialtone issue) since I can see calls (11s to 18s) to my central monitoring station on the Ooma call log.

I just switched my panel to use SIA FSK instead of Contact ID (apparently SIA frequency modulation is more resilient to poor line quality). My system is using the *99 and the first call seemed to work. Fingers crossed.

loveooma

Post by loveooma » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:27 pm

My alarm system also is having communication failure since 5/27/10. All star alarm came and cant fix it, i have read out the fix that you did to make it work. He wil come and try to do the SIA ---. Hopefully it works.
Ooma CS suggested to bypass ports UDP 3386 and UDP 3480, which he did but could not make it work.