I want to cancel internet service altogether.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Sherri
I want to cancel internet service altogether.

Post by Sherri » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:28 am

If I cancel my internet service completely, will I still be able to dial into my ooma voicemail and pick up messages? I realize I won't be able to make or take calls with my equipment, but, where are the messages stored? I want to use a separate phone (from work, for example) to just call in to pick up messages. I am currently paying the monthly ooma rate of $9.99 and receive my messages by e:mail (which I access at work). Will I still be able to do that?
Thanks,
-Sherri

bw1

Re: I want to cancel internet service altogether.

Post by bw1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:45 am

Ooma voicemail is store on their servers, so you should be able to do what you want. You can try disconnecting your Hub or Telo to see if it works the way you expect before you disconnect your Internet connection.

How long do you want to do this for? They may eventually disconnect your service if your Ooma device isn't connecting to their servers after a period of time. You probably should check with CS.

Sherri

Post by Sherri » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:21 am

That's a great idea, thanks! I didn't even think about just disconnecting it. I need to do it for at least six months or so to catch up on some other bills - I plan to discontinue both cable TV and cable internet since the last of the kids are now graduated, grown, married and moved out.
Thanks again,
-Sherri

Sherri

Post by Sherri » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:11 am

Okay, so far so good. I unplugged the phone from the Telo and unplugged the Telo from the modem. Then I dialed in from an outside phone and immediately went to voicemail. I left myself a message, received notification in my e:mail and was able to listen to the message on the attached audio file. Perfect. Now I just need to contact Customer Service as suggested to find out whether this will continue to work for the long run.
-Sherri

Sherri

Post by Sherri » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 am

The final answer from Customer Service is yes, this will continue to work in the long run. Now I can kick Comcast to the curb!
-Sherri