Help! Ooma wants to charge me tax on pre-tax Ooma!

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
lbmofo
Re: Help! Ooma wants to charge me tax on pre-tax Ooma!

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 am

etmesi wrote:BBB Complaint
Complaint Details
Ooma
1840 Embarcadero Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Phone:(866) 452-6662

In the absence of any response from the company this complaint despite our two requests to them, we are closing our file on this complaint.

This unanswered complaint will become part of the information we report to the public on this company for the next three years. Should any government agency request our files on this company, your complaint will also be included.

If you have settled this complaint directly with the company, would you please email us to let us know that, as well as any other comments you might have. Your help in doing this is important to ensure that our report to the public on this company is accurate.

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau.

Complaint ID: 16074844

Complaint Classification:

Complaint Description - Posted 1/17/2012 10:35:42 AM

I bought my Ooma modem/Phone from Costco in 2008 referred by a friend who had one 3 years prior to my purchase. My friend has never had to pay taxes and still does not to current. When I bought my Ooma modem/Phone from Costco there were no mention of tax in any of the agreements. There was a $100.00 credit that came with the purchase to stay in my account for various uses such as long distance, overseas calling and 411 calls. Ooma at their leisure removed this $100.00 from my account and on top of it claims taxes are owed. I have never seen any proof in writing the FCC requires taxes on the Ooma modem/Phone. My Ooma phone is used for my medical purposes as I’m on Disability; Ooma is threatening to shut off phone services. I am not concerned with Ooma’s bill errors as stated by Response (Micoboy) 10/15/2011 07:55 PM.

Complaint Summary

Removed $100.00 from my account charging taxes.

Resolution Sought: NO

Once I receive a letter in writing from the FCC these taxes are valid I want the $100.00 refunded and the taxes can be drawn out of there.
Additional Information
Date Problem First Occurred: 1/4/2011
Product or Service: VOI Telephone services
Model Name or Number:
Date Purchased:
Order Number:
Amount In Dispute: $100.00
Company's Response
Company's Initial Response - None Posted
Initial Response Summary
Consumer's Rebuttal
Company's Final Response
Company's Final Response - None Posted
Epitome of frivolous conduct.

jazzycat

Post by jazzycat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 pm

I am literally astounded that people are upset over the fees. EVERY phone service in this country charges fees, they are federal taxes, and no telephone service is without them. They are going up on ALL phone services, not just with Ooma. You are shooting yourself in the foot if you get rid of a service that only charges you federal taxes to go to a service that will charge you a monthly fee, in addition to all of the SAME taxes. (My taxes and fees were a lot more when I had Comcast or AT&T than they are with Ooma, perhaps because they are based on the price of the service?) PLUS, AT&T does not give you free long distance. If you didn't use that $100 credit, that is not Ooma's fault. Take a little responsibility for your own actions (or inactions).

etmesi

Post by etmesi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

My $100 was credited back to my account or my complaint through Costco would have pulled Ooma's off the shelves for false advertising. My other account was for $50 bought at a later purchase received that as well. Credited both of my accounts honored by:
Ooma Roy Calvo
[Moderator note: Please don't post personal cell phones]

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 am

I think Ooma is being more than generous; courtesy vs owing. I wouldn't take that for granted. Also, I don't think you should post contact info not necessarily public.

jazzycat

Post by jazzycat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:52 am

I agree. Ooma was very generous. I wouldn't take it for granted either. This time, use your credits.