Do I need an active phone line?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
esachs@cox.net
Do I need an active phone line?

Post by esachs@cox.net » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 pm

I have been using another internet phone provider and no longer have a land line. Can I still install the Telo?

southsound

Re: Do I need an active phone line?

Post by southsound » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:02 pm

First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum.

The ooma hub and the ooma Telo both work best when NOT connected to a landline or other VOIP line. Some folks do what is called landline integration, but I always recommend against it. Just plug in your Telo to the Internet and either connect up a cordless base or other phone to the PHONE port. There should be nothing connected to the WALL port. If you disconnect your home's wiring from the old VOIP adapter and have made sure that the connection to the Telco is broken at the NIB outside your house, you can even feed your entire home's phone jacks by plugging in a modular cord between the Telo PHONE port and a wall jack in the house. If you want a phone there as well, just use a single-line splitter you can get at the dollar store. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

nn5i

Re: Do I need an active phone line?

Post by nn5i » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:15 pm

SouthSound is a friend, and one of the nicest people you could ever meet, but he's a little wordy sometimes.

You asked:
esachs@cox.net wrote:I have been using another internet phone provider and no longer have a land line. Can I still install the Telo?
Yes. :cool: