Can make outgoing calls, but incoming calls don't ring

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
iparrajp
Can make outgoing calls, but incoming calls don't ring

Post by iparrajp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 am

Just bought my ooma yesterday and am in the process of porting my number from Comcast.

I have the ooma telo set up behind my wireless router with the "wall" plug into the telo. When I pick up the cordless handset I hear the ooma dialtone and can make outgoing calls that show my home number. The problem is that when I use a cell phone or landline to call my home, there is no ring.

Is it just growing pains because of the number port?

Other info:

The DND envelope is lit blue.
On My Ooma account it shows no incoming calls in the log (that's not good).
I originally had the telo set up between the modem and wireless router but had the exact same issue.

Thanks for any help!

lbmofo

Re: Can make outgoing calls, but incoming calls don't ring

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:01 am

Is Telo's wall port connected to Comcast phone device's phone port?

iparrajp

Post by iparrajp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:35 am

lbmofo wrote:Is Telo's wall port connected to Comcast phone device's phone port?
No, I have the wall jack going directly into the ooma telo.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:40 am

Since you said your outgoing callerid is your own number, that tells me that you are using ooma in "landline integration" mode. In this mode, the wall port of ooma needs to connect to a dialtone from your existing service. Are you feeding ooma wall port with comcast dialtone? What port of your ooma is your wall jack connected to? Is it the wall port? Does the wall jack have your comcast dialtone? Is your phone connected to the "phone" port of ooma?

iparrajp

Post by iparrajp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am

lbmofo wrote:Since you said your outgoing callerid is your own number, that tells me that you are using ooma in "landline integration" mode. In this mode, the wall port of ooma needs to connect to a dialtone from your existing service. Are you feeding ooma wall port with comcast dialtone? What port of your ooma is your wall jack connected to? Is it the wall port? Does the wall jack have your comcast dialtone? Is your phone connected to the "phone" port of ooma?
Hey lb, thanks for your assistance in helping me figure this out. I am tech un-savvy so bear with me as I try and answer your questions.

Since you said your outgoing callerid is your own number, that tells me that you are using ooma in "landline integration" mode.

Yes.

In this mode, the wall port of ooma needs to connect to a dialtone from your existing service. Are you feeding ooma wall port with comcast dialtone?

So it's a bit confusing. The way comcast set it up was they fed a telephone line from the modem into an existing wall jack. Then I could go into another room and plug a phone into the wall and I got a dial tone. The way I have it set up now is I have a phone line from "wall port" in the ooma into a wall jack, but I no longer have the modem connected to the wall. As I am typing this I think I see my issue. I disconnected the modem from the wall jack in order to use the ooma to that same wall jack.

My issue I guess is that the ooma needs to be by the modem (obviously) and there is only one phone jack. Do you think a splitter would work?

Thanks again!!!!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:55 am

Okay, your comcast phone device used to distribute comcast dialtone throughout the house.

So, in this case, the comcast device should feed the "wall" port of ooma instead of the wall jack of your house.

Then, the "phone" port of ooma should feed the wall jack of your house.

How did you connect your phone before? Using a splitter at the wall jack?

iparrajp

Post by iparrajp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:09 pm

lbmofo wrote:Okay, your comcast phone device used to distribute comcast dialtone throughout the house.

So, in this case, the comcast device should feed the "wall" port of ooma instead of the wall jack of your house.

Then, the "phone" port of ooma should feed the wall jack of your house.

How did you connect your phone before? Using a splitter at the wall jack?
No, I never used a splitter, I just didn't have a phone in that room.

So if I understand correctly (bear with me)...I should:

1. Have the comcast cable modem connected to the ooma telo's "WALL" port.
2. The use a second phone cord to connect the "Phone" port on ooma to the wall.
3. Connect a phone to any wall jack and I should be fine.

Additional question:

Since I don't have an actual phone connected to ooma device does that mean I will no longer be using the ooma service? I imagine the configuration above will give me the old comcast dial tone. I guess I shouldn't care considering I am porting the number and paying for the service anyway...

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Yes, your steps outlined are correct.

When you plug your phone into another wall jack in the house, you'll hear the ooma dialtone.

In the landline integration mode, incomings calls and outgoing local calls will be via your existing service (comcast) so you'll still need to keep your comcast phone device up and running (most of these are integrated with cable modem so you'd need it powered up and running anyway at least while number is being ported; once number ported, you can change the device into pure modem. Buy your own and save a few more bucks a month).

iparrajp

Post by iparrajp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 pm

lbmofo wrote:Yes, your steps outlined are correct.

When you plug your phone into another wall jack in the house, you'll hear the ooma dialtone.

In the landline integration mode, incomings calls and outgoing local calls will be via your existing service (comcast) so you'll still need to keep your comcast phone device up and running (most of these are integrated with cable modem so you'd need it powered up and running anyway at least while number is being ported; once number ported, you can change the device into pure modem. Buy your own and save a few more bucks a month).
Cool!!!! So once the number port is complete I just go back to plugging a phone into the ooma right?

Man, I wish I was more tech savvy...the ooma is about the extent of my comfort level. You mean I can buy my own modem and give comcast back there modem (for which I am charged like 6 bucks a month!)? That's awesome. Does it need to be a cable modem to match the existing one.

Thanks for all your help lb...I'll stop bothering you now.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Once port is complete, you just need to take out the phone wire between the cable modem and the ooma "wall" port.
Power cycle (off and on) of your ooma device is recommended.

As for the cable modem, just need to get any modem DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0 and call into comcast with the MAC address of the modem so they can provision it for your account. Once you return the leased modem, you won't see the $5, $7, or $10 for the equipment lease anymore.