Scout: 4 Red Lights, Even When Connected Directly

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mikesv
Re: Scout: 4 Red Lights, Even When Connected Directly

Post by mikesv » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Do you think a splitter could be the issue?

I tried the hub in two different locations (with the same splitter I have been using). At this time, I was using L2.

The phone cord (for my own lack of a better word) for the scout worked when directly plugged into the hub.

The scout worked when moved to L1 or L1 +L2 (with the Hub wall feed to L1).

Any additional wire pieces to possibly check? Should I start peeking at wall plates?

Unless my wife or children (both 4 and under) did something odd, I have no idea what else could be an issue. Heck, it worked this morning.

I am perplexed...

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:52 pm

mikesv wrote:As for the whole house set-up, I used splitters (L1 L2 L1+L2) when I set up in summer. The "wall" was run into L2, the "phone" to L1.
When the Scout was working, if you plugged your Scout into a regular wall jack in the house (not configured to access line 2) then Ooma's "wall" port was probably connected to L1+L2.

mikesv

Post by mikesv » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:58 pm

lbmofo wrote:
mikesv wrote:As for the whole house set-up, I used splitters (L1 L2 L1+L2) when I set up in summer. The "wall" was run into L2, the "phone" to L1.
When the Scout was working, if you plugged your Scout into a regular wall jack in the house (not configured to access line 2) then Ooma's "wall" port was probably connected to L1+L2.
The scout never flew solo in a phone jack. It had plugged into a 2 line splitter next to my cordless phone base.

Should I have the Wall port (of the hub) plugged into L1+L2?

Edited for clarity.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 pm

L1 = L1+L2 in this case when you are feeding in the "wall" port.

So essentially, you are feeding Ooma dialtone into L1 and then feeding "wall" port's HPNA signal (that Scout needs) into L1 as well by plugging into L1+L2.

If you feed the "wall" port into L2, that means you need to plug your Scout into a wall plate that is rigged for L2 or use another one of them L1, L2 splitters and plug into L2.

By the Scout side, you don't have another one of these L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters do you?

mikesv

Post by mikesv » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:12 pm

lbmofo wrote:L1 = L1+L2 in this case when you are feeding in the "wall" port.

So essentially, you are feeding Ooma dialtone into L1 and then feeding "wall" port's HPNA signal (that Scout needs) into L1 as well by plugging into L1+L2.

If you feed the "wall" port into L2, that means you need to plug your Scout into a wall plate that is rigged for L2 or use another one of them L1, L2 splitters and plug into L2.
Ok, now let me see if this means I am losing it.

I have been using 2 of the splitters you described. (Hub- Phone running to L1, Wall to L2). The scout had been going into L2 in its own splitter. A cordless phone occupied the L1 jack on the scouts splitter (and always worked). My other phone jacks also works (no splitters needed, ever).

So, not that I read your post as a suggestion, but I just moved the Wall feed from L2 to L1+L2 on both ends (from the hub and to the scout).

Blue light again on the scout.

Is this an OK way to run things (using the L1 + L2 jacks vs the L2 jack only)?

Why would it have stopped working? I have no desire to buy a new splitter just to satisfy my curiosity, but is there a possibility that one of the splitters failed (how, I have no idea)?

Thank you (lbmofo and murphy) for the help!

If L1 +L2 is an ok place to feed the scout on the splitters, I am going to go to bed.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Yes, that's an okay way to do it too. Before you were using L2 for Scout communications but now your dialtone and Scout signals are both riding L1. Which is fine. I think splitter L2 has gone bad or your L2 wiring gone weird somewhere in the house.

mikesv

Post by mikesv » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:21 pm

lbmofo wrote:Yes, that's an okay way to do it too. Before you were using L2 for Scout communications but now your dialtone and Scout signals are both riding L1. Which is fine. I think splitter L2 has gone bad or your L2 wiring gone weird somewhere in the house.
I am going to leave well enough alone, as I have no idea how I would check the wiring in the house, and the splitter may be funky, but the 3 bucks I would need to replace it is 3 bucks.

Sharing L1 would be an issue if I needed the 2nd line of the scout, right? As I am a basic core user, if I can check the voice mail and the equipment is safe, I am satisfied.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:24 pm

mikesv wrote:Sharing L1 would be an issue if I needed the 2nd line of the scout, right? As I am a basic core user, if I can check the voice mail and the equipment is safe, I am satisfied.
The way you have it working now is not an issue at all. Whether Core or Premier service. As a basic/core user, you can still plug a phone into the Scout and use that dialtone. You just can't have 2 concurrent phone conversations happen at the same time.