Telo: red light daily

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Spiky
Telo: red light daily

Post by Spiky » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:25 am

Will this ever stay attached? It has been one week since I installed my Telo (cable modem >> Telo >> network) and it won't go more than 48 hours with a blue light. Almost every day I wake up and there is a red light. Internet still works through it, but no phone. I've tweaked QoS and switched the MAC address to "built-in". Is there some other setup I can do? If this won't give me phone service, it isn't much of a phone.

Considering today is supposed to be the day of porting my real number and dropping my Qwest service, I'm a little worried about whether we'll have a phone again.

brycebaird

Re: Telo: red light daily

Post by brycebaird » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:27 am

I've been having the same problem. I may have figured it out in my situation, although my situation was slightly different, because my whole network came down when the telo carapped the bed. Anyway, my cable modem was plugged into a Universal Power Supply. I heard the power supply "click" the other day, and happened to see the TELO go red right after the click. Mind you - the TELO was not plugged into the UPS, just the cable modem. I've plugged the cable modem into a regular outlet, and we'll see what happens. Its only been overnight, but so far so good.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:58 am

brycebaird wrote:I've been having the same problem. I may have figured it out in my situation, although my situation was slightly different, because my whole network came down when the telo carapped the bed. Anyway, my cable modem was plugged into a Universal Power Supply. I heard the power supply "click" the other day, and happened to see the TELO go red right after the click. Mind you - the TELO was not plugged into the UPS, just the cable modem. I've plugged the cable modem into a regular outlet, and we'll see what happens. Its only been overnight, but so far so good.
I believe you may mean Uninterruptible Power Supply - another term for a battery backup/and possibly line conditioner unit. I also think you may have gone the wrong direction with your logic. When you heard the "click" of the UPS it meant that it sensed the AC power to be out of spec and it took over supplying power for anything plugged into it. Since your cable modem was plugged in, it continued to receive good power (assuming that the UPS was working correctly). On the other hand, the Telo was at the mercy of the AC line and whatever was happening there. I would consider plugging BOTH of the devices, as well as your router, into the UPS.

On the utility side, I'm pretty sure that most cable companies use battery backup for their systems so you probably didn't lose Internet - but my assumption may not be accurate. Although phone service is ALWAYS up because it runs on batteries, I assumed that my DSL would be also - but when the power goes out, my DSL signal is gone. Turns out the batteries at our remote terminal only power voice, not DSL. If your cable is not backed up by batteries, that could also be the cause of the red light on the Telo.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Spiky

Post by Spiky » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:35 am

I'm not using a separate router at the moment, would that affect the phone? As I said, the internet connection always stays up when this happens for me. I could acquire a router, I guess. It did manage to stay 'up' throughout the weekend, and our number port is finished, and functioning fine.

mattwj2005

Post by mattwj2005 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 am

I am having problems with getting the red light as well. So is my mom too. I think something is wrong with either the product or the service. I highly doubt it is a UPS or a router issue.

At the moment of writing this I was rebooting mine after it went red and it looked like it was trying to update the firmware, but it is taking forever (at least 10 to 15 minutes if not longer). Hopefully, it is not totally broke!

Matt
Disappointed Customer

Takafoomi

Post by Takafoomi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 am

Hello,

My Telo has been blinking red most every morning now for 3 weeks. I've placed at least 3 different calls to ooma technical support about this topic. My set-up is cable modem>router>Telo. The last time I spoke with them, I had to plug my telo box directly into the modem and I ramped up my QoS to no avail. (BTW, what was funny about my support call was that once I unplugged my Telo, I lost my call to customer service, and had to call them back from my cell phone.)

Regardless, I'm on Time Warner Cable.. but this issue has me quite miffed and my wife continues to say bad things about Telo.. why is it always off, the phone never rings, my mother cant reach me, etc. I can only defend the box for so long.

My question is , is this a user configuration issue (me), or is this a hardware/software issue?

Thanks,

David

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 am

Hello David,

The last log I show is 10/20.

Have you tried using built in mac?

Connect a pc/laptop to Telo HOME port.
Go to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1
Click on Network settings page, and on the 'MODEM Port MAC Address' section change Telo to use it built-in MAC address. Then click 'update'

Power off ALL devices & boot in sequence.

For example: Modem>Router>telo config
With all devices power off, boot:

1. Modem - power on & allow a few minutes for it to come online
2. Router - power on & allow a few minutes for it to come online
3. telo - power on & allow some extra time.

fstshrk

Post by fstshrk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:04 am

Same thing is happening to me. Every morning, I get up and am greeted by the ooma red light. This started happening after Oct 7th when my Ooma Telo was updated to the latest (and not so greatest) firmware. This morning it was red light flashing with numbers 1 and 2 lit up.

My Telo is connected directly to my cable modem. When it goes, my Internet access is also down which is frustrating.
This morning, I moved it behind my router so that at least when it's dead, I still have Internet access.

If I had not ported my number to Ooma already, I would have taken the unit back to Costco.

Tech support is not helpful (to say the least). I don't know how many times I have to answer the same silly questions (and I do networking as a living).

fstshrk

Post by fstshrk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:40 am

Any chance someone from tech support can take a look at the logs and tell me what's going on with my Telo?

Why not allow the user to see the logs on the Telo itself via the web ui?

Spiky

Post by Spiky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:07 am

ntoy wrote:Hello David,

The last log I show is 10/20.

Have you tried using built in mac?

Connect a pc/laptop to Telo HOME port.
Go to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1
Click on Network settings page, and on the 'MODEM Port MAC Address' section change Telo to use it built-in MAC address. Then click 'update'

Power off ALL devices & boot in sequence.

For example: Modem>Router>telo config
With all devices power off, boot:

1. Modem - power on & allow a few minutes for it to come online
2. Router - power on & allow a few minutes for it to come online
3. telo - power on & allow some extra time.
Sorry, cancel this post. If anyone read the first version, ignore it, I had a different problem today. Guess my research was incomplete.

I can say that, since Friday evening, when my number port finished and we reset the Telo for that, it has not dropped the blue light. We did have a brownout last night, which required a reset, but that isn't too surprising for an electrical problem.