Ooma hub died - what are my options?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
wardm6
Re: Ooma hub died - what are my options?

Post by wardm6 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 am

Tried the resetting procedure half a dozen times but still winds up with oom tab, 1, and 2 solid red. BTW - it only took a few seconds for it to get back to the all red status - nothing changed even though I held the button down for over a minute.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 am

wardm6 wrote:Tried the resetting procedure half a dozen times but still winds up with oom tab, 1, and 2 solid red. BTW - it only took a few seconds for it to get back to the all red status - nothing changed even though I held the button down for over a minute.
Remove power from the Ooma Hub.

Disconnect all network cables and phone cords from the Ooma Hub and try the factory reset procedure again.

Then tempororily connect the Ooma Hub to the Modem with a network cable. At this time don't connect the Router.

Next connect only a corded phone to the Ooma Hub phone port. Connect nothing else.

Repower the Ooma Hub. Check for the Ooma dial tone.

wardm6

Post by wardm6 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:35 am

Tried all of that and still no dial tone and still goes quick (few seconds?) to ooma tab, buttons 1 and 2 red.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 am

wardm6 wrote:My ooma hub died - one of the golden ones with no fees as it was part of a bundle. Had a lightning strike a while ago and the hub isnt working now. I have my calls being forwarded to my cell for time being but wanted to know what my options are in terms of replacing / upgrading the unit. Anyway to avoid the fees since I had one of the no-fee setups or am I out of luck.
After the testing it sounds like your Ooma hub is dead.

You can purchase another Ooma Hub at Amazon or Ebay. But before you do, find out how to keep your Ooma Profile "Golden" with no fees. See the following Topics:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13659&p=95107&hilit=No+Fees#p95107

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13573&p=94504&hilit=No+Fees#p94504

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13398&hilit=No+Fees

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8644&hilit=No+Fees

wardm6

Post by wardm6 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:45 am

well doesn't look like any of those links say specifically how to keep it golden besides contacting a level 2 agent? If thats the case, I would need to purchase one of the core packages again and then contact them? What about telo there is a reference to getting that without fees but those links don't provide much in the way of info.

rmueller

Post by rmueller » Tue May 01, 2012 8:43 am

I think I am in the same boat -- see http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13709

If anybody can help diagnose my hardware problem, I would greatly appreciate it!! :!: :!:

/R-
Ooma customer since July, 2009
Ooma original hub, DSL: AT&T, Modem: Dlink DIR-655

chansuresh

Post by chansuresh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:09 pm

I have a similar problem. One day Hub working fine, next morning dead, no lights. I checked the power supply with multi-tester and no voltage.

I was relieved thinking all I had to do is change the transformer. But I have tried 2 other 12v, 1000 milliamp transformers with the right plug config and still no lights on the Hub. But I did notice something -- some of the alternative transformers have a green led and when plugged into the Hub, the transformer's green light goes off or dims out. I also went to Radio Shack and tried their most powerful transformer (12v, 2.5 amp), still no lights on Hub.

Did my Oome hub die as well? How can I be sure? Please help before I give in and buy a Telo

Chansuresh

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:21 am

Measure the resistance between the power pins of the Hub with the power supply not connected. From your description I would expect it to be close to 0 ohms if there is an internal short. If there is an internal short it is most likely to be an electrolytic capacitor that has failed.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx