calls to Pakistan jumped to 29.3 cents per minute

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
kan
calls to Pakistan jumped to 29.3 cents per minute

Post by kan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:37 pm

I got caught with a very unpleasant surprise with Ooma gouging their rate to Pakistatan from 3.2 cents per minute to a whupping 29.3 cents per minute. I spent most of the evening with online chat with an inept agent who went beyond ignorance and common sense. I then decided to call their support line and escalated the issue to a supervisor. After a long wait back and forth he finally claimed that he is having problem accessing the computer and will return my call at 7pm, but it even gets better than this !! Of course he did not call me back but to my disbelief the posted rate this evening to Paskistan changed to 29.3 cent per minute
If this dispute is not settled I will be returning my ooma box back to costco and request a charge back on my credit card.

murphy

Re: calls to Pakistan jumped to 29.3 cents per minute

Post by murphy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:56 pm

The cost to call any country is determined by what the phone company in that country charges Ooma to terminate the call.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:06 pm

kan:
If the Ooma phone service is functioning very well for you, I wouldn't discard it.

We used to use calling cards for international calling, which were much cheaper and worked very well.

Here is one site for 8.9 cents per minute : http://www.rebtel.com/en/landing/Welcom ... 8a3d494d89

Just Google the Internet for more rates and cards.

kan

Post by kan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 pm

murphy wrote:The cost to call any country is determined by what the phone company in that country charges Ooma to terminate the call.
Please take the time to read my post. So you are saying posted rates on OOMA does not mean anything? Why did they change the rates after my conversation with them? I have proof with an online agent acknowledging this and OOMA will have this on record too.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:45 pm

kan, did you notice it right after you made the call from looking at prepaid history?

kan

Post by kan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:25 am

lbmofo wrote:kan, did you notice it right after you made the call from looking at prepaid history?
I noticed when my funds in my account finished and I went to my account to add more money. Just a warning to others, not to check 'auto fill in your account'.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:41 pm

kan, I am not certain whether you read the rates to Pakistan right at 3 cents/min but if you checked prepaid history after each call, you would have discovered a possible error in advertised rate right away making it possible for Ooma to give you adjustments etc. However, since it sounds like you made calls thinking a certain rate erroneously (not checking the rate before each call or check the charges after each call), you can't really blame Ooma unless you saw the advertised rate still sitting at 3 cents and Ooma changed the rate to 29 cents after you have called customer service.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm

thunderbird wrote:Just Google the Internet for more rates and cards.
For someone using Google vs Bing for search, surprised that you don't check GV first :)