Ooma Unveils New Telo Handset @ 2012 CES, WOW!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
thunderbird
Re: Ooma Unveils New Telo Handset @ 2012 CES, WOW!

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:51 am

Go to https://www.ooma.com/products to see new Ooma HD2 handset and New Linx DECT Wireless Phone Port Extender.

skymom

Post by skymom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:03 am

thunderbird wrote:
skymom wrote:Hi, I'm confused with the statement that these new products aren't compatible with the original Telo Handset. What does that mean? Does it mean that I can't use both this new handset and my original telo handset with my Telo system? I was hoping to add the new handset as an added handset, not a replacement.

Thanks!

Paula
You can use first generation Ooma Telo handsets with the Omoa Telo, or you can use second generation HD2 handsets with the Ooma Telo, but you can't use both the old and new handsets registered to Ooma Telo, at the same time.
Thank you for confirming that, I was hoping that wasn't the case!
Ooma Telo, Telo Handset, Premier customer since March 2010.

run4beer

Post by run4beer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 am

Well looks like I won't be buying a new handset after all. My 1st Gen handset works fine. I am in the market to add additional handsets, since my Uniden system is now about 9 years old and more trouble than it's worth. However, since I can't use my 1st gen handset with the new one, I guess I'll just buy a standard DECT set from Costco with 3 - 5 extensions for the same price. Too bad.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am

run4beer wrote:Well looks like I won't be buying a new handset after all. My 1st Gen handset works fine. I am in the market to add additional handsets, since my Uniden system is now about 9 years old and more trouble than it's worth. However, since I can't use my 1st gen handset with the new one, I guess I'll just buy a standard DECT set from Costco with 3 - 5 extensions for the same price. Too bad.
The old Ooma Telo handsets haven't been maufactured for some time. At least at first, until a lot of HD2 handsets get to be out there, the price for the old Ooma Telo handsets may be high (check E-bay). But later I would expect to see the old used Ooma Telo handsets selling very cheeply???

teekaye

Post by teekaye » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 am

Am I correct that my orig. Telo handset will NOT work if I add an HD handset? Per the newly-posted HD user guide's Troubleshooting section, it sounds as if I must choose either the 1st gen handset OR the new 2nd gen HD headset, but not both on the same system:
"...If your phone cannot register to your Telo, you might have a first-generation Ooma Telo Handset and your Telo is running in a mode that does not support the new Ooma HD2 Handset. Dial from a phone connected directly to the Telo, wait for your Telo to reboot and then try again..."
Any hands-on experience to report?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

Yes, either or.

teekaye

Post by teekaye » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:44 am

lbmofo wrote:Yes, either or.
Well, that S-U-X.

The only reason I'd consider the new HD handset is to get the headphone jack that my 1st gen handset should have had in the first place. A color screen with caller photos is not worth $50 to me... or I guess it's actually a $100 expense, since I'd be unable to use my not-so-old $50 original headset.

I've used and loved the Ooma service for years, but their handsets continue to disappoint...