Call problems with Dect 6.0 phone

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ssurban
Call problems with Dect 6.0 phone

Post by ssurban » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:25 am

I am having an intermittent problem (30%) when I receive a call, I hear the caller but they cannot hear me. Also intermittently, there are times where I can not make a call. I dial the number, but keep hearing the dial tone play.

I have an ATT 82318SL Dect 6.0 phone. The telo is connected between the modem and router. Running Version: 62600.

The problems seem to have cleared up using a single corded phone I put in 4 days ago.

Customer service checked my upload/download speeds, all excellent. They claim that all Dect 6.0 phones are supported but that I should disable "advanced" features on my phone, but after reading the manual, there are no advanced features to disable. They also suggested adjusting the microphone piece sensitivity and volume, but I have no adjustment for that either.

I was hoping someone had an idea since I am leary about purchasing another "supported" Dect 6.0 phone.

Regards

thunderbird

Re: Call problems with Dect 6.0 phone

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:46 am

ssurban:
I was looking at the reviews for the AT&T SL82318 DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone system and it looks like many people have all sorts of problems with that phone system, connected to any phone service provider.

We use a Panasonic Wirelesss DECT 6 Plus four handset, Talking caller ID phone system. From day one we have liked it very much and continue to like this system after going onto about three years service.

I'm sure others will post the phone system that works well for them also.

You could also consider purchasing the New HD2 handset(s) at https://www.ooma.com/products , that were just released for sale. I also have some of these, and they are nice, (but do not have all of the features of our Panasonic Wireless phone system).

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:44 pm

I also have a Panasonic Dect set with 4 handsets. Never have had any problems since I've had the Ooma hub and later moved to the Telo. I also have a new Ooma handset HD2 and everything plays very nicely with my Telo. My son has a Uniden connected to his Telo and he is happy with all of it.

Just my personal opinion but I'd say Panasonic and Uniden are the 'biggies' as far as happy customers all the way around.

foxcroft

Post by foxcroft » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Interesting.....I just start experiencing the same issue. I can dial-out....I hear the person on the other end clearly.....but the person on the other end can't hear me. Frustrating!!

Can anyone out there help ?....

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:15 pm

foxcroft wrote:Interesting.....I just start experiencing the same issue. I can dial-out....I hear the person on the other end clearly.....but the person on the other end can't hear me. Frustrating!!

Can anyone out there help ?....
For a temporary work around, if you are using an Ooma Telo, try dialing *98 or *96 before the number being dialed. For example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

Note: Using *98 changes to a wider higher capacity band Codec, and *96 uses the normal Codec, but without HD, which may allow more capacity.

If the one way conversation issue continues, contact Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Also report the version of firmware that you have currently installed in your Ooma Telo to the Ooma Forum.

Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001 with a phone connected to your Ooma Telo Phone port. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.

foxcroft

Post by foxcroft » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck....still getting one way conversation. Also, when i attempt the dialing sequence suggested below to get the firmaware, i just hear a beep followed by two more fast beeps and then dial-tone. The firmware is not announced.

foxcroft

Post by foxcroft » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:01 pm

actually....my firmware is 60080.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:26 pm

foxcroft wrote:actually....my firmware is 60080.
I just tested Dialing *#*#001 and for me, this method works fine, and the Ooma Telo, with the volume turned up, speaks firmware version 60080.

Try this for your One Way Conversation Issue (and Dialing *#*#001 issue) :

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

If later you hear echo, and you are not using the new HD2 handset(s):
Dial *#*#301 -Switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware, you will see and Ooma Telo reboot.

You could also try to use dialing *#*#301 for the One way conversations issue.

Next if none of these things work for the One Way Conversation issue, you Must call Ooma Customer Support this have this issue resolved.

foxcroft

Post by foxcroft » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks thunderbird - - I'll give this a try. Couple of questions for further clarification:

1) How do i reset MAC address to use built-in ? and, what does this actually mean?

2) What settings should i be using for Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream ? (My speed test results are: UP 5.24mbps / DOWN 0.67mbps)

Thank you

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:40 pm

foxcroft wrote:Thanks thunderbird - - I'll give this a try. Couple of questions for further clarification:

1) How do i reset MAC address to use built-in ? and, what does this actually mean?

2) What settings should i be using for Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream ? (My speed test results are: UP 5.24mbps / DOWN 0.67mbps)

Thank you
Something is wrong with these results: "My speed test results are: UP 5.24mbps / DOWN 0.67mbps". Were the tags switched for Up and Down speeds? Always the download speeds are higher then the Upload speeds. If the readings are as posted here, this may be the source of your One Way Conversation problems.
Do the following test to provide more information.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Setting MAC address In My Ooma:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Quality of Service settings:
For a Modem-Ooma-Router connection.
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

For A Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Set Ooma Setup Quality of Service Settings, both to Zero. For this connection, if the router has QoS settings or can set VoIP priority for a device, then give the Ooma Telo top priority in the Router.