taxes increased by 30% this month

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jhphone
Re: taxes increased by 30% this month

Post by jhphone » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 am

dioxide45 wrote:
jhphone wrote:
murphy wrote:You are going to pay a lot more than that on a land line.
The taxes on my land line are $9.07 per month.
I have the premium plan with the second number THAT I HAVE NEVER USED. So it's like forcing us to pay for premium gas for a car that only needs regular. Except in this case we are paying DOUBLE the tax.

It would be very nice to made this second number optional. Will Ooma do it?

Probably never.
With Premier do you have to select a second number? It was my understanding that you didn't. You could add one for free with Premier but it wasn't required?
I'm actually not sure. If it is optional I would definitely opt out.

Is the second number required?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 pm

The second number is not required.
I doubt that not having a second number will reduce your taxes.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 pm

I agree with Murphy. You do not pay taxes per phone number. If you go to the Ooma tax calculation page, nowhere does it ask you how many phones you have.

It is taxes and fees just for using phone service & E911. Your bill with Ooma isn't going to be any less because there isn't any now. Your taxes won't be any less because you aren't paying taxes according to how many phone numbers you have.

Here's the tax calc site
https://go.ooma.com/tax_calculator

Donna

cmeisel

Post by cmeisel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 am

germ wrote:Same here (north California). Taxes went from $3.50 to $5.
It's clear to me ooma is taking advantage of us. Ooma was once a god deal. It isn't anymore. :(
Ooma has nothing to do with Tax collections so how is Ooma taking advantage of us?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 am

cmeisel wrote:
It's clear to me ooma is taking advantage of us. Ooma was once a god deal. It isn't anymore. :(
Ooma has nothing to do with Tax collections so how is Ooma taking advantage of us?
Part of the taxes Ooma Collects for most localities is for 911 emergency services. This tax is very well spent and saves lives.

Ooma only collects taxes mandated by your Federal, State and Local politicians.

Ooma would be in violation of the law, if they didn't collect the taxes that they are required to collect, by law.

So you need to contact your Federal, State and Local politicians and let them know what you think of the taxes being collected by Ooma.

cmeisel

Post by cmeisel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 am

And they are still a good deal. It bothers me when people spread false rumors and post accusations without knowing the facts. Thunderbird is right. If you have a problem with the taxes call your city, county and the feds. But all this complaining over a few more cents here and there is a joke. You complain about a cup of coffee per months basically.
Again, Ooma has nothing to do with taxes and is required by law to collect them. It doesn't benefit them in any way.

hayashi

Post by hayashi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:00 am

I'm in No Cal and my taxes/fees went down from 3.87 (Sept) to 3.77 (Oct). I'm good with Ooma as long as they are just passing through the taxes without any padding. If you switch, you're still going to pay the same amount of taxes on top of whatever monthly services fees a new carrier charges.

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 am

cmeisel wrote:And they are still a good deal. It bothers me when people spread false rumors and post accusations without knowing the facts. Thunderbird is right. If you have a problem with the taxes call your city, county and the feds. But all this complaining over a few more cents here and there is a joke. You complain about a cup of coffee per months basically.
Again, Ooma has nothing to do with taxes and is required by law to collect them. It doesn't benefit them in any way.
+1

Comcast/AT&T charge similar if not even more so you pay it no matter who your provider is. Sprint charges me nearly $20 per month in just Government/911/regulation taxes for 3 phones on the family plan. That does not include sales tax which is over $8 per month additional!

ouch12

Post by ouch12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 pm

My taxes with Ooma went up from $3.72/month to $9.59 last month. Is anyone paying that much per month for their taxes with Ooma?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Can you give us the breakdown here?

Look it up by zip code: https://go.ooma.com/tax_calculator