HD2 volume levels are either too loud or too quiet

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rasa7777
HD2 volume levels are either too loud or too quiet

Post by rasa7777 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 pm

I just received two HD2 handsets. Setup and configuration was very straightforward.

Unfortunately, I have two issues with the units, and both are deal-breakers:

1. Callers cannot hear me. They say I'm not loud enough.

2. The headset speaker volume is *EXTREMELY LOUD*, even when set at the minimum volume level. I have to move the earpiece at least a inch away from my ear to be bearable.

I tested with three different headsets, and all three exhibited these issues.

Before the HD2s, I've had no problems with these headsets, working with two different non-Ooma handsets.

Questions:

1. Can these issues be fixed with a software upgrade? If so, I will wait for the issues to be fixed. Otherwise, I will be returning the units.

2. If the answer is "no", and I return the HD2s, can I re-enable my old Telo handset? (I didn't know it would get disabled when configuring the HD2s). If not, I'm afraid you may end up with a lot of angry customers on your hands.

I would be happy to beta test, or do whatever is needed to fix these issues. Please let me know.

Thanks!
Last edited by rasa7777 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Telo * 2 Telo HD2 handsets * Linx * Bluetooth Adapter * Verizon FiOS 75M/35M

thunderbird

Re: HD2 volume levels are either too loud or too quiet

Post by thunderbird » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 pm

rasa7777:
What Firmware version is your HD2 handset running? Accessed by pressing the Menu button and then using the Navigation PAD select the About Handset (circle i) Icon, then press Select (the Select button is located in the middle of the Navigation Pad).
Base Version: is the Ooma Telo firmware version, and HS version is the handset version. Please report both of these numbers.

Previously the complaints that I've heard is that the HD2 handset's volume levels were too low on the HD2 handset end, never the called party end??

Have you went into Menu and then selected Settings, then adjusted Earpiece volume, Speaker volume and Headset volume, depending on which is being used?

Yes Ooma Telo software upgrades can change the volume levels of the HD2 handset, but first try the built in volume level controls.

Yes you can reconfigure the Ooma Telo to use the Old Telo handsets, using a phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port, or going into Ooma Setup, DECT Setting page and switching there.
Dial *#*#301 switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware
Dial *#*#302 switches to the new HD2 Ooma Telo handset firmware

rasa7777

Post by rasa7777 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm

@thunderbird: Thank you for your prompt and helpful message. I am now confident we will be able to fix, or at least mitigate, these issues.
thunderbird wrote:What Firmware version is your HD2 handset running?
Both handset's report:

BASE Version: 62596
HS version: 62596
RFP version: 62780
thunderbird wrote:Have you went into Menu and then selected Settings, then adjusted Earpiece volume, Speaker volume and Headset volume, depending on which is being used?
Yes, I adjusted all of these to minimum. I'm assuming that none of these change the volume of my voice, as heard by the caller.

I forgot to mention that when a caller reported they couldn't hear me, I switched the headset to a non-Ooma handset during the call, and the caller reported they could then hear me.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 am

rasa7777:
The version of Firmware that you currently have is different from any firmware that I have seen.

Call Ooma Customer Support and ask them to download a different version of firmware to your Ooma Telo.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

You will have to ask for third level support this have this accomplished.

rasa7777

Post by rasa7777 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 am

@thunderbird: thanks again for your prompt reply.

I spoke with second-level (didn't catch his name), and Carol in third-level support. Both heard first-hand the drop in volume/call quality when using the headsets we tested (a Panasonic, and a Plantronics).

Carol said she doesn't have a list of headsets that are approved to use with the HD2 handsets.

Carol said she will send the issue to Engineering, and they will get back to me when they have something to report.

I'm not sure how long they expect me to wait, or how long I have to return the units.

I guess I'll wait 2 or 3 weeks, and if I don't hear anything, I'll ship the units back for a refund.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:10 am

rasa7777 wrote:@thunderbird: thanks again for your prompt reply.

I spoke with second-level (didn't catch his name), and Carol in third-level support. Both heard first-hand the drop in volume/call quality when using the headsets we tested (a Panasonic, and a Plantronics).

Carol said she doesn't have a list of headsets that are approved to use with the HD2 handsets.

Carol said she will send the issue to Engineering, and they will get back to me when they have something to report.

I'm not sure how long they expect me to wait, or how long I have to return the units.

I guess I'll wait 2 or 3 weeks, and if I don't hear anything, I'll ship the units back for a refund.

Again, thanks so much for your help.
You probably should have insisted that Ooma Support "push" out a different firmware version for your Ooma Telo.

I see in port viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14652 firmware version 62782 is used.
I've seen others metion that verison of firmware also, and no one is complaining.

Firmware version 62596 is probably a test firmware that should not have been "pushed" out to you.

rasa7777

Post by rasa7777 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:07 pm

Well, Carol didn't even ask what version I had, and the 2nd-level support person said I had the latest version, and didn't say it was a test version.

About an hour after I spoke with Carol, Ooma pushed the following firmware updates to me, without my involvement:

BASE Version: 63045 (was 62596)
HS version: 63023 (was 62596)
RFP version: 63003 (was 62780)

Unfortunately, callers are still saying they can't hear me.

As new firmwares are pushed to me, I will test and report in this thread.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:20 pm

rasa7777 wrote:Well, Carol didn't even ask what version I had, and the 2nd-level support person said I had the latest version, and didn't say it was a test version.

About an hour after I spoke with Carol, Ooma pushed the following firmware updates to me, without my involvement:

BASE Version: 63045 (was 62596)
HS version: 63023 (was 62596)
RFP version: 63003 (was 62780)

Unfortunately, callers are still saying they can't hear me.

As new firmwares are pushed to me, I will test and report in this thread.
I just checked and the version of Firmware that you report that was pushed to you, is the version that I have. I've had this version of firmware for about one day. But after making some test calls and receiving some inbound calls, everyone all report that the voice quality on their end is loud and clear. Also my wife talked to relatives in China, who weren't asked but did not complain. I've tested with three HD2 handsets.

It seems like something strange is going on here?????

Are both HD2 handsets doing the exact same thing?

How do you have your Ooma Connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Are you using DSL or Cable Internet Service?

Is your Ooma Telo positioned at least three to four feet away from all other electrical and/or electronic devices?

If the Ooma is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, maybe the Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Quality of Service upstream speed needs to be set up a little??

I have my Ooma connected, Modem-Router-Ooma, with no changes to the Ooma Telo, in Ooma Setup, except the MAC address setting on the Internet page set to use Built in MAC address. Maybe you could try those settings too and see if it makes a difference??? MAC address when set to Automatic can cause all sorts of weird problems. Setting MAC address to Use Built In stops those problems. No mater which way your Ooma Telo is conneced, setting MAC address to Use Built In in most cases helps.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:34 pm

I think rasa7777 is trying to use 2.5mm headsets.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:26 pm

rasa7777:
So your HD2 handsets work fine just using the HD2 handsets for making calls?

But when you connect a headset to the HD2 handset jack, you have the problem of low headset mike output?

That's one thing I haven't tested yet. I may have some headsets around, but I will have to look for them.

I know from working with headsets in the past, that the headset earphone impedance that I worked with was usually about the same from model to model. But the headset Mikes will vary greatly, using all sorts of different impedance microphone values, requiring impedance matching devices to allow the headset to function properly with the device that it was connected to.

I will try to find out what the HD2 handset headset jack "wants" for impedance values.

Sorry that I didn't read your text more closely.