HD2 handset/old handsets

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
stumpy
HD2 handset/old handsets

Post by stumpy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:26 pm

I am very disappointed that my two new HD2 handsets make my other two old Ooma handsets obsolete. You should have stated this clearly in your marketing of the new handsets. I feel I have been duped. Why do you treat your longtime customers with so little regard?? This is almost as bad a decision as what Netflix made. Remember the customer revolt?

I was counting on using the old handsets in our garage and guest bedroom. I'm sure it would not have been difficult to program an update to allow the old handset to be used in conjunction with the new one. Looks like the only reason not to do so was pure greed in forcing current (faithful and happy) customers to buy more equipment. I feel used and mistreated by Ooma, who up to now I've recommended to all my friends and family. I hope that you will reconsider and make it possible to use our old handsets along with the new HD2. There's no reason old handsets should add to the landfill and you will still sell many many HD2's on their own exceptional merit.

Respectfully,
Gary Farmer

thunderbird

Re: HD2 handset/old handsets

Post by thunderbird » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:31 pm

This is what I saw on the way to purchasing the New HD2 handsets at:

https://my.ooma.com/products/addons_details/hd2_handset

NOTE: Each Ooma Telo can support up to 4 wireless peripherals. The HD2 Handset is not compatible with the original Ooma Telo Handset or the Ooma Hub. Some features require a subscription to Ooma Premier.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 pm

OK, so I missed that in my haste to order the new improved phones. But my point still is, WHY?? Why can't Ooma do the right thing so the old handsets aren't obsolete??

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm

The new units use a new kind of Dect software making the old software obsolete. It was unavoidable in order to improve the new HD Handsets quality, range, and dependability. I have a few old ones here myself, but the trade off is worth it.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 pm

WayneDsr wrote:The new units use a new kind of Dect software making the old software obsolete. It was unavoidable in order to improve the new HD Handsets quality, range, and dependability.
Also to accommodate Linx device and future devices that Ooma may put out. Ooma struggled with this but had little to no choice.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:03 pm

OK, I get it...new technology, onward to the future, etc. I bought two of the HD2's so that I can be part of it. But don't you think Ooma should have at least offered some kind of trade in for current customers? Seems like they kinda pulled the rug out from under us. We either stick with the old crappy handsets with all the battery issues, or throw them away and purchase the new ones. Customer relations anyone??

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 pm

I found the below posting that echoes what I'm saying. Being a loyal customer in spite of the design deficiencies of the old handset gets you rewarded with a shaft by Marketing & Sales.

"Re: HD2 Handset - Basic vs Premier
by mearnhardt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:26 am

I only wish my basic handset would sit properly in the base. Most of the time I find after replacing the handsets they are discharged. I have to make sure the handset is leaning forward for it to connect and charged. I beleive this is a defective design and maybe one of the reasons Ooma is releasing a new handset. Can we get some type of credit for exchanging our base handset for the new ones? I would gladly purchase two of the new ones if I could get some credit for the original ones which don't function properly becuase of the base connection design.
mearnhardt"

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 pm

stumpy wrote:OK, I get it...new technology, onward to the future, etc. I bought two of the HD2's so that I can be part of it. But don't you think Ooma should have at least offered some kind of trade in for current customers? Seems like they kinda pulled the rug out from under us. We either stick with the old crappy handsets with all the battery issues, or throw them away and purchase the new ones. Customer relations anyone??
Of course, you realize that almost all of us are customers, just like yourself. The only folks from Ooma can be recognized by the Moderator title under their name. That said, like WayneDsr in a previous post, I also had two of the original handsets and I really wanted the new ones with the new features. Instead of sending my old ones to the trash heap, I found out that a missionary friend of a friend was using an Ooma Telo in the Philippines so they could call back to the US for free. These folks don't have the resources or the need for the new HD handsets and were excited to get the cast-off original ones. Maybe you could find a non-profit or other Telo user who would really appreciate your kindness. Might even be able to get some tax benefits because of it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.