No services, what do the lights on the Hub mean?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
lmennuti
No services, what do the lights on the Hub mean?

Post by lmennuti » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Hello,

Our Ooma has been working fine and today I noticed no connection/dial-tone. The hub itself has the Ooma tab at the top left blinking and buttons '1', '2', 'trash' and 'voicemail' are all lit red.

Usually when there's no dial-tone it's because the internet service is out, but that's not the case here. I've tried powering off the hub for several minutes and plugging back in, but that doesn't fix it.

Any and all help much appreciated!

murphy

Re: No services, what do the lights on the Hub mean?

Post by murphy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 pm

The lights are described on page 40 of the User Guide.

1 and 2 solid red - Hub unable to register to the Ooma network.
Trash and Voicemail solid red - Hub unable to get a network connection.

If you have cable and the cable modem is connected to the Hub, power cycle the cable modem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lmennuti

Post by lmennuti » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks murphy, I rebooted the router and that kicked things back to normal.

bobjames93

Post by bobjames93 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Right after I hooked up my scanner to my computer, and then scanned a document, the circle in the center of the Ooma unit turns from blue to purple and then the machine keeps announcing with a female voice, "Handset mode enabled," or another statement about the handset. Each time the scanner operates, the Ooma voice repeats the same two statements and the normally blue circle remains purple.

There is no connection between Ooma and my scanner, so what gives? I do not have a router. There doesn't appear to be any problem with calls; that part still works OK.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:49 pm

bobjames93 wrote:Right after I hooked up my scanner to my computer, and then scanned a document, the circle in the center of the Ooma unit turns from blue to purple and then the machine keeps announcing with a female voice, "Handset mode enabled," or another statement about the handset. Each time the scanner operates, the Ooma voice repeats the same two statements and the normally blue circle remains purple.

There is no connection between Ooma and my scanner, so what gives? I do not have a router. There doesn't appear to be any problem with calls; that part still works OK.
Remove power from your Ooma Telo. Then repower your Ooma Telo and test by scanning again.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:26 am

Are the scanner and the Telo connected to the same power strip? [Try different outlets]

Is the scanner located next to the Telo? [Move them away from each other]

Is the power plug firmly inserted into the back of the Telo? [Some were shipped with a plug that did not make solid contact and could easily fall out]

The switches on the top of the Telo are proximity switches. All you have to do is get close to them for them to activate.
The rightmost switch in the top row, when held for 5 seconds, will announce "Handset registration mode enabled" and the Ooma symbol will begin to blink.