help needed with homedistribution

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
shao
help needed with homedistribution

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 am

Hi everyone. I am having a little issue with homedistribution hoping someone can help me solve. I have it setup from modem to ooma to router. I have already disconnected the lines from the box outside also. Everything works perfectly when I plug the phone directly into Ooma. However, when I plug Ooma into the wall and my phone plugged in elsewhere in the house, I am having a bit of a problem. I am still able to dial out from my phone. However, the phone itself does not ring when I call to it while Ooma works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help!

murphy

Re: help needed with homedistribution

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:48 am

How much of a load are you putting on the phone line?
The Ooma phone port is limited to 5 REN.
Look on the bottom of your phones to get the REN number and add them all together.
It's best to not have any old style phones with mechanical ringers.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:34 pm

shao wrote:Hi everyone. I am having a little issue with homedistribution hoping someone can help me solve. I have it setup from modem to ooma to router. I have already disconnected the lines from the box outside also. Everything works perfectly when I plug the phone directly into Ooma. However, when I plug Ooma into the wall and my phone plugged in elsewhere in the house, I am having a bit of a problem. I am still able to dial out from my phone. However, the phone itself does not ring when I call to it while Ooma works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help!
Also make sure that the old phone provider wiring is Really disconnected from the house wiring.

shao

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:13 pm

murphy wrote:How much of a load are you putting on the phone line?
The Ooma phone port is limited to 5 REN.
Look on the bottom of your phones to get the REN number and add them all together.
It's best to not have any old style phones with mechanical ringers.
it says REN 0.0 on the bottom of my phone.

shao

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:14 pm

thunderbird wrote:
shao wrote:Hi everyone. I am having a little issue with homedistribution hoping someone can help me solve. I have it setup from modem to ooma to router. I have already disconnected the lines from the box outside also. Everything works perfectly when I plug the phone directly into Ooma. However, when I plug Ooma into the wall and my phone plugged in elsewhere in the house, I am having a bit of a problem. I am still able to dial out from my phone. However, the phone itself does not ring when I call to it while Ooma works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help!
Also make sure that the old phone provider wiring is Really disconnected from the house wiring.
I believe I have. I disconnected the lines in the box outside of the house.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Also, make sure Ooma's "Phone" port is connected to the walljack. Ooma's "Wall" port doesn't do anything.

shao

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm

After reading this someone's post on http://voip.mi-telecom.org/ , I find out that I have new kind of Network Interface Unit that prevents my phone from ringing. It's going to be more difficult than I thought.

shao

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm

lbmofo wrote:Also, make sure Ooma's "Phone" port is connected to the walljack. Ooma's "Wall" port doesn't do anything.
The Ooma I purchased only has phone port.

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:40 pm

thunderbird wrote: Also make sure that the old phone provider wiring is Really disconnected from the house wiring.
On my phone box, it's done by unplugging the phone cord from the phone jack at the corner. However, all the phone cords which come out from inside the house need to be connected together.
shao wrote: I believe I have. I disconnected the lines in the box outside of the house.
IMO, I'm not sure what you've done. Maybe a picture of the phone box will help us to help you. From your description, the house wiring needs to be checked, and the outside box is the first to look at.
tommies

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 pm

shao wrote:After reading this someone's post on http://voip.mi-telecom.org/ , I find out that I have new kind of Network Interface Unit that prevents my phone from ringing. It's going to be more difficult than I thought.
Shao, in your case, you'd need to get the wires off the screw terminals (or tabs). Make sure if the wires are connected together via screw (or tabs), they'd need to be together when off the screw (or tabs). Best way is by using butt splice connectors (Scotchlok). Info on the connectors: /viewtopic.php?t=14143#p98651