Connection: Is Modem/router1--Telo--Router2 Feasible?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jh03
Connection: Is Modem/router1--Telo--Router2 Feasible?

Post by jh03 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:36 pm

I only have mobile broadband and plug my USB modem into a Cradlepoint MBR900 router. Want to get the best voice quality from this setup. Since I cannot install Telo before the MBR900 router, is it possible to install Telo as the only device connected to the MBR900, then connect a wireless router (an older DLink) to the Home network port of the Telo? Is this possible, and has anybody done this? Any setup suggestions would be great. Thanks.

lbmofo

Re: Connection: Is Modem/router1--Telo--Router2 Feasible?

Post by lbmofo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:18 pm

I did a quick scan of your MBR900 and it doesn't seem like it can do QoS. If it did QoS, then you don't need to put the router after Ooma (so you won't need to get another router to put after Ooma).

In any case since you seem to really want QoS, the setup you are talking about is fine but just make sure you don't allow anything else to connect to MBR900 (can you disable wifi on MBR900?). In the setup you proposed, you want Ooma to be upstream to everything else that could connect to the internet (have the D-Link serve wifi and don't connect anything to the MBR900 other than Ooma, wifi and hardwired).

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm

jh03 wrote:I only have mobile broadband and plug my USB modem into a Cradlepoint MBR900 router. Want to get the best voice quality from this setup. Since I cannot install Telo before the MBR900 router, is it possible to install Telo as the only device connected to the MBR900, then connect a wireless router (an older DLink) to the Home network port of the Telo? Is this possible, and has anybody done this? Any setup suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Yes you can do this.

Your setup is Modem-Router-Ooma.

You could also connect your DLink to one of your MBR900 LAN ports and then connect the Ooma Telo to one of the DLink LAN ports. If you do this, you have to reboot everything, starting with the MBR900, then the DLink, then the Ooma Telo.

jh03

Post by jh03 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:25 am

Thank you lbmofo and thunderbird. Will try this today.

jh03

Post by jh03 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:17 am

The connection works great - but need to connect Telo Home Network port to Router2 LAN (not WAN) port.
I will see if there is improvement in voice quality.
Thanks again.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:33 pm

jh03 wrote:but need to connect Telo Home Network port to Router2 LAN (not WAN) port.
This is not correct. Router 2's WAN port needs to connect to Ooma "Home" port. Make sure to reboot Router 2 after connection is made.

jh03

Post by jh03 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Thank you, I reconnected Router 2.
However my Ooma connection is again breaking up badly (before changing the reconnection).
Before giving up on Ooma, should I do anything to Router1 (upstream of Telo) - such as:
- Placing telo 172.27.35.1 in a DMZ?
- Something else, from your recommentations for telo behind router?
My upstream speed when measured with dslreports.com is 400k+.
However, when measured with phonepower or whichvoip.com it drops one time during each test to under 200k - unacceptable. So, my verizon 3g connection may not be adequate.
Thanks.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 pm

jh03:
I connect the Ooma Telo Internet port, directly to one of my Cradlepoint MBR1200 LAN ports using network cables.

It works great using this connection, without setting up any Quality of Service settings in the Cradlepoint MBR1200.

In fact at times I connect up to four Ooma Telos to the the Cradlepoint MBR1200, using network cables and/or the Cradlepoint Wi-Fi signal, and they all work great.

If you have a fast enough Internet signal (enough bandwidth), then there is little concern for Quailiy of Service settings.

Is there 4G in your area?
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Wireless internet isn't recommended for Ooma, although I have a friend using Ooma Telo without issues with Clear.

Goto http://phonepower.com/speedtest and do some testing to see.
murphy wrote:Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.
Outside of recommending a hardwired internet service, Ooma also requires a minimum of 256 Kbps upstream network speed (384 Kbps recommended). Since downstream is usually higher, they don't mention it but have got to be same or higher.