Hook triggers "instant second line" but I don't have it!

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Brett Glass
Hook triggers "instant second line" but I don't have it!

Post by Brett Glass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:29 pm

I have Ooma's regular (not premium) service. When I press the hook switch down for about a second when I finish a call, I expect that this will just disconnect the call, because I don't have Ooma's "instant second line" (which only comes with the premium service). But though I get a dial tone and an opportunity to dial a new number, I get a message complaining that I don't have the "instant second line" service once I'm finished dialing. The effort of dialing must be repeated. It seems that I have to hold down the hook switch for at least 20 seconds after ANY call to be sure I will avoid getting the message. (I am never quite sure whether I've held it down long enough.)

This wastes my time and makes it even LESS likely that I will sign up for the premium service because it is so annoying.

If I don't have an "instant second line" (and I do not want this "feature;" I do not put one call on hold to take another because I consider that to be rude), the Ooma box shouldn't first act as if I do and then complain that I do not! It should simply consider my depressing the hook switch to mean that I am hanging up, as it does on an ordinary landline phone. Ooma should fix this obvious bug.

junie

Re: Hook triggers "instant second line" but I don't have it!

Post by junie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

I have this problem too! Usually its not too bad and in a few seconds I can use the phone again but today its been an hour and I still cant use the phone cause the line wont disconnect

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Brett Glass wrote:It seems that I have to hold down the hook switch for at least 20 seconds after ANY call to be sure I will avoid getting the message. (I am never quite sure whether I've held it down long enough.)
Do some test calls sitting by the Telo. See how long it takes to have line 1/2 indicator go off once you end the call. Shouldn't take more than a sec or 2.
junie wrote:today its been an hour and I still cant use the phone cause the line wont disconnect
Seems like your Ooma is stuck. Need to power off and power back on.

Brett Glass

Post by Brett Glass » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:07 pm

My Ooma box is in my basement, and my telephone is upstairs and at the other end of the house. I cannot look at the box and shouldn't have to wait before making another call.... I don't have the "instant second line" feature, so when I hang up, it means I want to hang up! Again, this seems to be a bug in the Ooma software. Please fix it ASAP, as it is one of the major gripes we and other customers we know have about your service. Even customers who have your Premier service are frustrated with it and simply want to turn off your "second line" feature so that depressing the switch hook doesn't leave a call lingering in the background.

This bug is a constant annoyance. Please submit it to your programmers to be fixed immediately.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Brett, this is a user forum. I suggest you contact Ooma support via following means:

Customer Support

Email: support@oomacare.com

or

Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

However, a couple of recommendations. If you have a traditional phone with hook switch, press it using your finger and hold it there for a sec instead of putting the receiver back to the cradle and lifting up again right away. If still not satisfactory, get a cordless system and press "off" to hang up the call and then press "talk" again for the next call.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:55 am

Brett Glass wrote:My Ooma box is in my basement, and my telephone is upstairs and at the other end of the house. I cannot look at the box and shouldn't have to wait before making another call.... I don't have the "instant second line" feature, so when I hang up, it means I want to hang up! Again, this seems to be a bug in the Ooma software. Please fix it ASAP, as it is one of the major gripes we and other customers we know have about your service. Even customers who have your Premier service are frustrated with it and simply want to turn off your "second line" feature so that depressing the switch hook doesn't leave a call lingering in the background.

This bug is a constant annoyance. Please submit it to your programmers to be fixed immediately.
You could also try this.

Ooma Telo Factory Reset::
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo phone port to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the Line number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the Line number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

If you have Ooma Telo handsets, and they don’t connect after a factory reset, you may have to do a Registration Mode change from the new HD2 handset firmware, to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware. This is done by dialing *#*#301 on a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port, (switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware). When you dial *#*#301 you will hear one beep before the Ooma Telo does an automatic reboot. If you only hear a busy signal, the Ooma Telo is already using the old Ooma handset Telo firmware. Dialing *#*#302 is used to change to the HD2 handset mode.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:59 pm

but today its been an hour and I still cant use the phone cause the line wont disconnect
I've entered a bug for this problem. Likely what happened is following. You were on a call and depressed the
hookswitch on the phone to hang up the call, but the hookswitch was not depressed long enough to be
interpreted as a hangup. Instead it was interpreted as a flash, so now you got dialtone on line 2 with line 1
on hold. Next you made another call and got the Instant Second Line (ISL) recording.

When this happens hold down the hookswitch for at least 3 sec (say 21 three times) to hang up on the line 2 call.
Release and then press flash to return to line 1. And again hold down the hookswitch for at least 3 sec to hangup
on the line 1 call (most likely the other party will have hung up already by this time, so this may not be needed).

This problem can also happen if you put the receiver down on the cradle but then quickly pick it up again (within
3 sec). Again depending on your phone that will be interpreted as a flash instead of a hangup.

We will change the code as Mr. Glass suggests and for non-premier customers only interpret a flash as a flash
if there's a waiting call.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 am

This is my exact problem... it doesn't look like it has been fixed yet. Any word, as my wife isn't happy we switched.... even with the savings (other issues occured/occuring).

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:21 am

This issue is fixed in the next release. No ETA as yet but it will be a few weeks.