Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mike_b
Re: Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Post by mike_b » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 pm

My port was completed about a week ago. I didn't have telemarketing calls before I ported, and I haven't had any after the port. The number that was ported has been in the Do Not Call Registry for several years. Maybe that's the difference?

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 pm

lbmofo wrote: If you or anyone know of VoIP providers allowing wildcard blacklists, I'd like to know so I can learn more about it.

I moved to Ooma from Voipo. Actually, I still have my Voipo account that is used as a second line. Voipo has the wildcard blacklist feature. For example, I could use 800******* to block all calls from an 800 number.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Edit: Ooma implemented Wildcard Blacklist on 4/1/13: viewtopic.php?t=15436#p108297

mike_b wrote:
lbmofo wrote: If you or anyone know of VoIP providers allowing wildcard blacklists, I'd like to know so I can learn more about it.

I moved to Ooma from Voipo. Actually, I still have my Voipo account that is used as a second line. Voipo has the wildcard blacklist feature. For example, I could use 800******* to block all calls from an 800 number.
Thanks. I'll take a look.
Last edited by lbmofo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 pm

lbmofo wrote:
jerseysgt wrote:Makes me wonder if ooma somehow makes these numbers available.
Not the case. It is happening because you ported your home phone number.
This happens to others who port their numbers (if porting to non mobile phone).
Examples:
http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/ind ... 44465.html
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone ... d-p/359197
https://help.ting.com/entries/22491106- ... ing-number
mike_b wrote:My port was completed about a week ago. I didn't have telemarketing calls before I ported, and I haven't had any after the port. The number that was ported has been in the Do Not Call Registry for several years. Maybe that's the difference?
The Do Not Call list doesn't matter. I think it is a hit & miss. Sometimes, crooks pick up on your number but sometimes not. I've seen some delays of weeks before the spam calls spike up to ported numbers.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:05 pm

And the number was ported to __________?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:11 pm

joe123 wrote:And the number was ported to __________?
If you are asking mike_b, I believe he was talking about porting number into Ooma.
The examples I gave were related to numbers that ported to Google Voice, Verizon FiOS, Ting Mobile.

Even without porting the number spam calls can spike up: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... -Call-list

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:42 pm

joe123 wrote:And the number was ported to __________?
I just ported to Ooma from Voipo. I recently had call routing problems with Voipo, so I decided to try a new provider. I've been with several VoIP companies over the past 5 years. I was with Voipo the longest, 3 years. I'm hoping Ooma will be my final phone provider. This is my 4th port and I've never had any problems with telemarketers after the porting process.

jerseysgt

Post by jerseysgt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:36 am

I've been on the Fed. list for several years also. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if it would have made a difference if I had accepted a newly assigned number.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 am

If you do anything to change your number's provider, update cnam or anything at all related to that number, you end up on somebody's "I just moved to a new location" list. I have a small handful of providers and just updating cnam, adding myself to the directories etc causes this. Do not call registration squashed it. It's not Ooma doing this in any way.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 am

I might have the best response to everyone with telemarketer issues

With Ooma you get 2 numbers, the one I give out to everyone only goes to voice-mail, my phone never rings. The second number goes ONLY to relatives and people that really need it. With that number my phone rings.

So basically, whenever anyone asks me for a phone number they get my spam number. Only my VERY close friends get the other.

When I get time I go through the voice-mails and half of them are hangups which I assume are telemarketers.

Hooray.... I beat the system