New installation - Wireless doesn't work

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Will94
New installation - Wireless doesn't work

Post by Will94 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 pm

I setup my Ooma Telo last weekend. It works great with an Ethernet connection to my wireless router. It doesn't work, however, wirelessly. It sees my router and says that the connection is active:

After I took this screen capture, I moved the Telo closer to my router, and it now consistently has three bars of signal. I've left it running for the past few days hoping that it would "sort itself out." Sometimes the biggest light on top will be flashing red. When that's the case, the phone gives a busy signal. Twice, I've walked by and the light on top was blue. In those instances, Ooma was working correctly. Most of the time, only the numbers '1' and '2' are illuminated. In this case, the phone is dead. There has also been one time that I walked by, and the lights were cycling, leading me to believe that the Telo had just rebooted itself.

Here is one last screen capture that might be of help. FYI, my router is a Linksys WRT54GL.

Please help,

Thank you!

thunderbird

Re: New installation - Wireless doesn't work

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:06 pm

When you access Ooma Setup, click on Status, then Wireless, what is the Signal Level?

My Signal Level is around -55 dBm. This is with the Router at one end of the house, and the Ooma Telo at the other end of the house.

Your Wi-Fi Signal Level out put of your router should be consistantly around that range.

Will94

Post by Will94 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:38 pm

My signal is -61dBm.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:13 pm

A lot of times when the Router Wi-Fi signal strength is around 50%, Ooma will have problems staying connected to the Wi-Fi signal.

Quote from Interent:
Understanding Signal Strength

Wireless signal strength is traditionally measured in either percentile or dBm (the power ratio in decibels of the measured power referenced to one milliwatt.)

The level of 100% is equivalent to the signal level of -35 dBm and higher, e.g. both -25 dBm and -15 dBm will be shown as 100%, because this level of signal is very high.

The level of 1% is equivalent to the signal level of -95 dBm. Between -95 dBm and -35 dBm, the percentage scale is linear, i.e. 50% is equivalent to -65 dBm.

Will94

Post by Will94 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:22 pm

I really don't think that my wireless strength is the problem. The first day that I setup my Ooma, I tested it with a cabled connection as per the instructions. As soon as I pulled the Ethernet cable, it started flashing red. It was about two feet from the wireless router when that happened.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Will94, might be worth your while checking into doing this to your router: viewtopic.php?t=14886#p103747

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 am

Will94 wrote:I really don't think that my wireless strength is the problem. The first day that I setup my Ooma, I tested it with a cabled connection as per the instructions. As soon as I pulled the Ethernet cable, it started flashing red. It was about two feet from the wireless router when that happened.
When switching from the Ethernet cable Ooma Telo Internet port connection, to the Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle connection, it is normal for the Ooma symbol to flash red for about from five to eight minutes, while the Ooma Telo switches from the Ooma Telo Internet port IP address, to the Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle IP address.

Temporarily for testing, move the Ooma Telo to about three feet away (don't place the Router & Ooma Telo to close together) from the Router using the Wi-Fi connection from the Ooma Telo. Then test and see what happens.

Another thing to look at is that now, after the latest Ooma Telo firmware updates, the Ooma Telo Quality of Service settings are still in effect, when using the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi USB dongle. Go into Ooma Setup Advanced page and set both the Upstream and Downstream setting to Zero if nothing will be connected to the Ooma Telo Home port. If the Ooma Telo Home port will be used other then for accessing Ooma Setup, then set the Ooma Setup Advanced page Upstream and Downstream settings, both to 80 to 85 percent of the Upload and download speeds as measured by http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ .

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 am

Will94 wrote:I really don't think that my wireless strength is the problem. The first day that I setup my Ooma, I tested it with a cabled connection as per the instructions. As soon as I pulled the Ethernet cable, it started flashing red. It was about two feet from the wireless router when that happened.
I recently went through this exercise with the Ooma wireless adapter. Sounds like your experience is similar to mine. I tried the router in the room where I wanted to use it, but it wouldn't maintain a connection. I also have a Squeezebox Boom (Internet radio) in this room that works fine using my wireless network. So I moved the Telo back to my office which is in the same room as the router. The Telo would still not maintain a wireless connection. I gave up and sent the wireless adapter back to Amazon. I decided to leave the Telo in my office. It works great connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

Will94

Post by Will94 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:14 pm

lbmofo, Thank you for the information, but manually configuring my router is more than I don't want to do. I don't really understand much about packets and protocols, and I've got a ton of other devices (two laptops, a media PC, a PS3, and a Blu Ray player) that can access my router. I don't want to mess with that much success.
Temporarily for testing, move the Ooma Telo to about three feet away (don't place the Router & Ooma Telo to close together) from the Router using the Wi-Fi connection from the Ooma Telo. Then test and see what happens.

Another thing to look at is that now, after the latest Ooma Telo firmware updates,
I moved my Ooma into my computer room about an hour ago. It's a very crowded room as it's also my man cave and guitar room. The most practical spot is on a desk that's 9' from my router. It's sitting there and doing the same stuff. Sometimes it flashes red, sometimes it's all blue, and sometimes only the '1' and '2' are illuminated. I've also seen the lights recycling twice, once shortly after I set it up and once about five minutes ago.

Does the Telo firmware get automatically updated, or is that something that I need to do? I looked briefly and couldn't find a download area.

At this point, I am leaning towards getting a wireless adapter for my desktop, and moving my DSL modem and wireless router into my kitchen, where I want the phone to be. I'd just eat the extra $30 that I paid for this POS Ooma wireless device.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Will94:
I'd go into Ooma Setup and make the adjustments that I suggested previously and test, before I would do anything else. That way you will rule out the Ooma Telo Quailty of Service Wi-Fi issues that may be occuring.