New installation - Wireless doesn't work

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Will94
Re: New installation - Wireless doesn't work

Post by Will94 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:24 pm

thunderbird,

I set both the upstream and downstream settings to 0, but it hasn't had any effect. It's been about ten minutes, if that is important. Actually, the downstream was already set to 0 and the upstream was set to 500k, I think. I am not going to use the Ooma Home Telo port, but I measured my speeds anyway. These are the results from a laptop that I had placed next to my Telo.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Will94:
Your Phonepower Speedtest results look good.

I was looking in the Internet and saw where after a few years use, for a few Linksys WRT54GL Wi-Fi signal Mbps starts out high, then drops like stair steps, slower and slower after a few minutes use. They said the Linksys WRT54GL LAN ports don't have this effect and the output says the same.

One of the suggestions was to change the Router Wi-Fi frequency to another Wi-Fi frequency. If that didn't work, change to another frequency until the Wi-Fi signal strength stabilizes.

Another person said he had success by reloading the Router firmware.

Another person said that he had three Linksys WRT54GL Routers, and each had this same problem after a few years service. He said that he bought different Routers and that fixed the problem.

Will94

Post by Will94 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Until recently, I was using a cheap WEP-only combo DSL modem/router that Verizon gave me back in 2006. I had to restart it every couple of days as it kept dropping connections. I bought this router when I ordered Ooma. I've only been using it for five days, so I don't think that's the problem.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 am

Will94 wrote:Until recently, I was using a cheap WEP-only combo DSL modem/router that Verizon gave me back in 2006. I had to restart it every couple of days as it kept dropping connections. I bought this router when I ordered Ooma. I've only been using it for five days, so I don't think that's the problem.
Despite what others may have told you, the Ooma QoS setting has nothing to do with your Ooma wifi connectivity/stability.

I still suggest that you take a look at resetting your router (upgrade firmware, restore to factory default, setup your router again including SSID; no devices that connect to your router now would have to be reconfigured as long as you name your SSID and set the password the same as what you have now).

My router works great now but used to drop my Ooma's wifi connection every day (never reconnected by self; had to reboot router daily) and used to send unnecessary internal traffic to my Ooma device (causing extremely high TX, RX tally). The reset of router fixed my problem.

I do have a couple of friends that have Negear routers that have wifi connectivity issues (unstable, intermittent connections, no internet, dropped connections). For these guys, resetting and reconfiguring router didn't help their situation. They have the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - Premium Edition (WNDR3800).

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:56 am

lbmofo wrote:
Will94 wrote:Until recently, I was using a cheap WEP-only combo DSL modem/router that Verizon gave me back in 2006. I had to restart it every couple of days as it kept dropping connections. I bought this router when I ordered Ooma. I've only been using it for five days, so I don't think that's the problem.
Despite what others may have told you, the Ooma QoS setting has nothing to do with your Ooma wifi connectivity/stability.
Ibmofo is starting in again. See what Ooma Engineer Bobby B has to say below:
Bobby B wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Does the Ooma Telo Advanced page Quality of Service Settings apply to both the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle port Internet connection and the Network cable Internet port Internet connection???
Yes, the one upstream bandwidth setting applies to both connection types.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:01 am

What Ooma said about QoS applying to wifi as well has nothing to do with wifi connectivity being dropped/lost.

Will94

Post by Will94 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 pm

lbmofo,

I updated the firmware on my router from 4.30.14 to 4.30.15 and reconfigured the settings. It didn't help.

I've given up on the wireless working and run a patch cable from my router to the desk where I have the Ooma Telo. That get's me out of this without having spent more money. It's kind of weird having my only land line phone in the computer room (which is also my guest bedroom in addition to its status as man cave and guitar room). I thought about it though, and it 's a wireless phone, so it's not terribly important where the stand is.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Will94 wrote: I've given up on the wireless working and run a patch cable from my router to the desk where I have the Ooma Telo. That get's me out of this without having spent more money.
I was happy to get that $50.00 back when I returned my wireless adapter. Amazon paid for return shipping and even refunded my initial shipping cost. They have earned more business from me!

Will94

Post by Will94 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

I was happy to get that $50.00 back when I returned my wireless adapter. Amazon paid for return shipping and even refunded my initial shipping cost. They have earned more business from me!
I bought my Telo and wireless adapter directly from ooma.com. I think I spent $30 extra to get it. I wasn't even planning on trying to return it. It is kind of annoying that they even sell the adapter. I've come across three other threads with people who had the same trouble that I did. There's obviously a problem with the device.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm suspecting that with the recent changes to the way the Quality of Service works for Wi-Fi connections, in the latest firmware changes, is probably the problem, and not the Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle. I had my Wi-Fi adpater connected to an Ooma device that I don't use very much. I transfered it over to our main Ooma Telo phone system and will test to see if I have the same problems.