Dial tone improvement

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Bob K
Dial tone improvement

Post by Bob K » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:23 pm

I don't know what the dialtone does as far as the rest of the telephony system goes,
but the Ooma dial tone is not popular. After using Ooma for a month, I can say, in my opinion,
the little chime is not the worst audio offender! The dial tone AFTER is annoying!
Is it the pitch? The hertz? The harsh digital tone? Is there an unwanted ultrasonic/beat frequency component
that is so-oo irritating? ( I think/feel there IS an unwanted plus 22K Hz tone in there)
Honestly, the Ooma chime is OK, but the dial tone afterwards should be rich, smooth, low and
inviting. As it is, I have now changed my routine to keep the nasty sound away from my ear when I pick up my handset
to dial out. This is unfortunate. I hope this feedback helps you folks at Ooma to fine tune your excellent product.

Sign me,
your fan,

Bob K

thunderbird

Re: Dial tone improvement

Post by thunderbird » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:31 am

I would second this this request. The regular dial tone before the call is connected, is terrible and ugly sounding.

smp99

Post by smp99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 am

I was playing around with my system trying to get FAX to work. (So far I can only send - but another time)
So part of test included setting up my Telo as a Fax machine under Preference->Phone Numbers

What I got was a regular dial tone, no chime!
Set it back to a regular phone, and it goes back to chime.
And I can repeat this - takes a few minutes for device to update each time though

I don't know what this does to the performance of regular calls, I'm just sharing the findings.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 pm

smp99 wrote:I don't know what this does to the performance of regular calls, I'm just sharing the findings.
Changing the Telo's mode to "Fax Machine" won't do anything other than changing the dialtone. Fax mode activates when there is actual fax.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:15 am

I note that the tone is similar to what one hears in Europe. It does sound odd to Americans. Perhaps Ooma can make this configurable! (Only sort-of joking.)
Steve

Jodeo

Post by Jodeo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:23 pm

I would like the Ooma chime/tune to be something I can turn off. It's odd to get that when I pick up the phone. For 47 years I've gotten a standard dial tone and that's just fine.

Second, the tone of the dial tone is odd, too. Please make this selectable.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:35 pm

If you have a Telo, go to my Ooma com and go under phone number preference and set your Telo to Fax mode. The dialtone would change but nothing else will unless you have fax going on.

phoenixtommy

Post by phoenixtommy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:45 am

Really? I kind of like it. It's a chord instead of a single tone. I think it's appropriate to distinguish Ooma from a traditional phone company's dial tone.

Let's save configurability for other far-more-requested features, like enhanced blacklisting.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:40 pm

My wife loves the Ooma dialtone - she says it reminds her of a bus we were on in South Korea with lace curtains.
Steve