New Wireless Adapter - Doesnt work

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Shidoshi
New Wireless Adapter - Doesnt work

Post by Shidoshi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Extremely frustrated now!!!

I have Verizon FIOS (25up25dn)
Originally had Telo directly connected to router and then computer connected to Telo
Problem was that I could not see my NAS Server (directly connected to Verizon router) as it was on a different IP address due to Telo configuring addresses.

Bought Wireless adapter and configured it
turned it on and after several calls to support 45 minutes later it worked ... however the Telo keeps turning Red and phone no longer works.

Called support once again and was informed to move it closer to router
moved closer to router and went from two bars to three
still keeps turning red and recycling endlessly

Need help or money back

lbmofo

Re: New Wireless Adapter - Doesnt work

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:23 pm

If your only problem is not enough LAN ports to plug your Telo and computer in, just get a switch.

If you need to put Telo away from router/modem, you can look into getting a wifi bridge. If wifi bridge is giving you same problem with connectivity, then your router config is the issue and not the Ooma wifi dongle.

Check this post out for the different devices I recommend: /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13450&start=20#p97898

Before giving up on the dongle, try improving your wifi performance: /viewtopic.php?t=14952#p104179

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Shidoshi:
There have been several others that have complained that they have had the same problem as yours, (Ooma Telo using a Wi-Fi USB Dongle Internet connection, disconnects from Internet), that has gone on since one of the last few Ooma Telo Firmware updates.

During the last few days, I have been doing some testing and have found that I can duplicate this problem, when using the Wi-Fi USB dongle Ooma Telo Internet connection. I am receiving a 135 Mbps 100% Wi-Fi signal, Ooma Telo Wireless Signal Level -42 dBm, and have no problem surfing the Internet, when the Ooma Telo symbol starts flashing Red.

When I switch and use a hard wired network cable connection, to the Ooma Telo, from the Router, there is no Ooma Telo disconnects and don't see the Ooma flashing red symbol.

Ooma made some Ooma Telo firmware changes in the Wi-Fi connection area fairly recently, and probably will have to do a "fix" to correct this problem. I know Ooma Engineering has started to look into this problem, but it may take a while for them to come up with a "fix".

You will not have a problem using your NAS Server, if you connect using a network cable, from the Ooma Telo Internet port, to one of your Router LAN ports. Using this Modem-Router-Ooma connection, normally nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except to temporarily connect a computer to access Ooma Setup. With your Internet speeds, you should not have to do any Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings. But the Ooma Setup, Internet page, MAC address setting should be changed from Automatic, to Use Built IN MAC address.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm

thunderbird wrote:Ooma made some Ooma Telo firmware changes in the Wi-Fi connection area fairly recently, and probably will have to do a "fix" to correct this problem.
How do you get to this? Could you point to the supporting info?