Viability of Ooma - Questions

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
jduffy
Viability of Ooma - Questions

Post by jduffy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:35 am

After reading comments on Ooma on DSLR, I am a bit concerned about the viability of Ooma. I am in the process of porting my number over to Ooma, but if Ooma suddenly goes out of business, I don't want to lose my number and access to a phone.

I will go with the Premier service as it is worthwhile, but I cannot understand how a business can stay in business long-term, providing what is essentially free service by selling a box for $150 or less.

I have searched and cannot find any financial information on Ooma, the number of customers they have, or anything that provides a feeling of comfort that this company will continue to survive over the long-haul.

Can anyone provide any accurate, truthful information please?

Thanks,

Duffy

murphy

Re: Viability of Ooma - Questions

Post by murphy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:04 am

I have been an Ooma customer since January 2009. For that entire time period people have been worrying about Ooma going out of business. It's still going 4 years later. The fee for Premier is ongoing income as are the fees for calls outside of the US. Also all incoming calls to Ooma from other phone companies have to pay a termination fee to Ooma. That may or may not be offset by the termination fee that Ooma has to pay when an Ooma customer calls some other phone company.

Based on what I used to pay to Vonage I have recovered my initial investment many times over.

Ooma does not own your phone number.
The brick and mortar phone company that originally issued the number controls it.
In my case that is Verizon.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jduffy

Post by jduffy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:19 am

I understand that they have been in business for a few years now, but that could be because they continue to get VC funding and if they cannot generate a profit, the VC funding may stop and then they could go under.

I also understand that the original company who issued my number owns it, but they do not control it. The control vest with the partners that Ooma is working with (XO or Level 3 maybe). But if they suddenly cease to be in business, I want to be sure I can get my number ported to another service.

But still would like to know their current financial situation and viability as I find it hard to understand how they can make money providing a service by just selling boxes. It might be viable if everyone paid something or everyone subscribed to Premier, but since that is not the case, I think it causes a person like me to have genuine concern.

Duffy

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:07 am

jduffy, in this post: /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10941&start=40#p79257
There is a link to a piece on Ooma business model; perhaps, that will give you some more insight.

jduffy

Post by jduffy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks, but like most of what I have read are just guesses. I would like to have some facts stated by someone at Ooma.

I saw an old post that someone in management stated that they thought they would be profitable soon...but that was a post that was several years old as I recall.

So if they are profitable and serving "x" number of users, I wish they would state such to give customers - current and future - that Ooma is going to be around to continue to serve us.

Duffy

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:30 pm

ooma is privately owned so you probably won't see the details you are looking for.
I can tell you this, only healthy companies continue to improve their products and put out new line of devices.
Linx and HD2 are examples. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

jduffy

Post by jduffy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:22 pm

LOL, well that does not make me any less concerned. I'm sure I'll still sleep though.

Reminds me of Saddam Hussien telling his people not to lose any sleep over the American invasion and look how that turned out :-)

Duffy

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 am

Duffy,

Just a couple of rambling thoughts. The forum is mostly made up of users with an ooma moderator checking in now and then. These mods are not just hourly guys and gals but include their Vice President of Product Management. I doubt if any of the ooma folks are at liberty to talk about the company financials. The products have really matured over the years that I have owned them. I first took the plunge in February of 2009 and had many of your fears... I had been the proud owner of stock from some rather "solid" telcom companies like MCI and Northern Telecom. I also lost my shirt on Motorola and hate the fact that my ATT and Vodaphone stock are both upside down. I'm not sure you can really predict the future of any company - especially those in the technology realm.

Since you already have the system and are pleased enough with quality to port your number, I hope you will have the same experience as myself and the posters who have already responded. The good news is that the investment is a modest one and every day that you use it you are getting some of that investment back.

Welcome to ooma and to the forum! There are a lot of great people who can be really helpful if you do have a problem. And since it is Christmas Eve, have a very Merry Christmas! :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jduffy

Post by jduffy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks! I looked at Ooma for a number of years. Woot had a refurb unit for a great price so I snapped it up. I also intend to extend Premier when the trial is up as I like the features and think they are well worth the price.

I also installed Ooma Mobile and tested that out. Works great.

So the product and feature set are solid. I hope the company is just as solid as porting the number is what concerns me. It the not knowing.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you also.

Best Regards,

Duffy

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:32 am

Duffy, I wouldn't worry about the health of Ooma. Even if a VoIP company folds, customers are allowed a window to port their numbers out to another company (example Sun Rocket).
viewtopic.php?t=10670#p74119