Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
joe123
Re: Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Post by joe123 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:17 am

lbmofo wrote:This is the 1st time Ooma saying "working on it."
They have hinted at doing something for a long time (years). But even if this IS the first time they said it, without a timeline, it is pretty worthless. They may be working on it with a deployment of year 2030.

My premier Ooma service automatically renewed a few days ago and I just called to canceld it - got my money back.

I will re-consider Premier *IF* and when I can Wild-card Black List Telemarketers with Ooma. Right now my Ooma phone is going directly to voice message due to so many Telemarketers calling and 99% are automated calls leaving long unwanted messages.

On the possitive side: My Ooma phone connection is great. I hear everyone clearly, I can make calls, works all the time. NO issues there. But that is all - I cannot leave my Ooma to receive calls due to the huge increase in Telemarketers ever since I switched to Oomma. :cry:

WJBertrand

Post by WJBertrand » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Following up on my post in this thread from December 20th. Since removing my phone number from Whitepages.com and a few other sites, I have not recieved a single spam call in two weeks! I don't know if this is just a Christmas time slow-down (I guess spammers take time off too?) or whether deleting my information actually did the trick.

Passing it along for what it's worth.
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA

jduffy

Post by jduffy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 am

First, the Do-Not-Call list is just ignored by telemarketers and many are exempt for the law anyway. There are all sorts of ways around it.

Second, I have noticed a marked decrease in calls. Hardly get them now that I have Ooma. I have them all sent to voicemail and they never leave voicemail messages.

It seems to be working very well.

Best Regards,

Duffy

joe123

Post by joe123 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am

The Do-No-Call lists are a ruse and as you so correctly pointed out, there are many legal ways for Telemarketers to get around them ( your special interest money at hard work ).

As for a decrease in calls putting Ooma to directly go to VM, I've seen a small decrease too, however, I still get several automated voice messages per day and it's a pitta having to go through them to see which are legit and which are not.

The answer to all this is for Ooma to implement *wildcard* either of both a while-list or a black-list. The simpler method would be a white-list which would do wonders for me as I would be able to say who can ring my phone and who goes to voice message.

I will repeat that our same phone number of some 25+ years got bombarded with Telemarketers the very moment we ported our number to Ooma. Not a happy customer with that and why I keep bugging Ooma to setup at a minimum a wildcard white-list option.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 am

How much longer do we have to wait for Wildcard blocking to be implemented?

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:09 am

joe123 wrote: I will repeat that our same phone number of some 25+ years got bombarded with Telemarketers the very moment we ported our number to Ooma. Not a happy customer with that and why I keep bugging Ooma to setup at a minimum a wildcard white-list option.
I finally had to port my number back out of Ooma, and put it in GoogleVoice. In the month in a half since, GV blocked 128 spam calls! I also still maintain my Ooma with a new number and have not got any telemarketer calls. The telemarketers started when my number was ported.

I understand that Ooma wants to make money with Premier features, but when they ported our numbers, they somehow exposed them and we are suffering. I can understand charging to block your mother in laws number, but when 20 or more people report a number as spam, Ooma should let all subscribers the option to opt in to community call block lists.

just my opinion.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 am

Ooma did not "expose" your number. I have seen this issue each time I have ported - the cause is that porting your number removes you from the national Do Not Call registry. You have to re-enroll (and wait the month or two for it to catch up).
Steve

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 pm

joe123 wrote:How much longer do we have to wait for Wildcard blocking to be implemented?
Ooma implemented wildcard blacklisting on 4/1/13.

tp20165

Post by tp20165 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 pm

I am using VoIP services since last 10 years. I've used three different companies. I never had spam calls before switching to OOMA. FTC's DoNotCall registry worked excellent until switched to OOMA. OOMA is surely making money by selling our number to marketers.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

tp20165 wrote:OOMA is surely making money by selling our number to marketers.
Not the case. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13976&start=20#p104248