How do I change the Caller ID info displayed when calling?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Lord Vader
How do I change the Caller ID info displayed when calling?

Post by Lord Vader » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

I have my main # and a second # that used to be my primary (but was changed to secondary when I moved). I also have a 3rd # to be used for a home business of sorts. I used to be able to edit the Caller ID info that was displayed on one of my phone numbers, but now that ability is no longer present. Instead, all three numbers show my name as the outgoing Caller ID info.

Why was this option to edit this info taken away from us?

thunderbird

Re: How do I change the Caller ID info displayed when calling?

Post by thunderbird » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 pm

https://www.ooma.com/app/support/caller ... a#anchor-0

Quotes from above site:
"How do I know what name is coming up in my outbound caller-ID?
The name you used in the billing field on your account is used as the outbound caller name.

When I call someone else they tell me they don't see my name! What's going on?
Ooma updates a national caller-ID database with your name and number when you activate your service. Some phone companies will only periodically update their database, so if your name does not show up when another person receives a phone call form you, it could be that the phone company delivering the call to the other person has not been updated yet".

I believe a call along with a fee to Ooma Customer Support, is rquired to change your outbound caller Id.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Hours: Weekdays 7am-7pm PT, Weekends 8am-5pm PT

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Will cost $19.99 to customize/change outgoing callerid.

https://www.ooma.com/legal/rates

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:28 pm

That's total BS!!!

So a feature that used to be totally free and easy to do is now going to cost us $19.99 any time we wish to change our outgoing caller ID information on one of our additional numbers? I think a complaint to the Better Business Bureau is in order.

Absolutely asinine!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Lord Vader wrote:That's total BS!!!

So a feature that used to be totally free and easy to do is now going to cost us $19.99 any time we wish to change our outgoing caller ID information on one of our additional numbers? I think a complaint to the Better Business Bureau is in order.

Absolutely asinine!
This was never free. When you get a number assigned, you get to set the callerid you want but if you want to change it after, there is a fee. There is a fee because it costs Ooma money to change it for you. Ooma needs to make a living too.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes it WAS free. I had my main # with my name as Caller ID. I also had a second number at no charge (Premier level of service). A few months ago I purchased a 3rd # for $4.99/month as an add-on. At that time, I edited the name to be displayed on that add-on # to my home business. I WAS able to do it, and it WAS at no charge. Moreover, I could change it at any time I wish, and as often as I wish. I did just that when I called my niece from that number, having changed the display to read "Santa Claus". I did it as a little Christmas surprise last month.

Well, for some reason, my service level downgraded to Basic recently, and yesterday I had to call Customer Care to get that fixed. They reinstated premier level, but I noticed my 2nd # and my 3rd #, my add-on, were no longer attached to the account. They were able to put both of them back, fortunately, but when I went into the section for my phone numbers, I noticed that the feature to edit the outgoing display name was no longer present. I searched around for it, but I never found that; hence my posting this thread.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:36 pm

I don't remember having ability change name on the phone number.

However, you can change name on "personal device" or now "private account." This might have been the area where you updated your name before?

I am not sure if this "name changing" changes your outgoing callerid on Ooma to Ooma calls let alone out of network calls (doubt Ooma does CNAM provisioning every time people change names of private account because it costs $ to do CNAM provisioning).

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm

No, it has nothing to do with one's private account, because I never had one. I had my main # and two additional ones, including one as a $4.99 add-on. On that one particularly, I'd often edit the outgoing Caller ID info whenever I wanted, and when I called someone from that number, it would show whatever name I had entered.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:55 am

When you log into MyOoma and click on a phone number under Preferences | Phone Numbers notice how
the Caller-ID Name field is non-editable. Changing it requires a call to support.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 pm

It used to be editable, which is why I posted this thread. Why did they change this? I'm sure the answer is "to make money."