Ooma Small Business Discussion

Have an Ooma Office question not covered by another forum? Post your questions here.
MapleOne
Ooma Small Business Discussion

Post by MapleOne » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 am

So a lot of us know about the NEW Small Business Version of Ooma

http://www.ooma.com/products/business

I would like to start a topic discussing questions a business might have before purchasing.

Question...

I am truly a small business and only require two lines and a fax.

1. I can plug the fax right into the device but instead of using the Linx can I use two HD2 handsets instead?

2. I also understand you can only use 2 Linx per system, can I use more than two HD2 handsets?

thunderbird

Re: Ooma Small Business Discussion

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:04 am

MapleOne wrote:So a lot of us know about the NEW Small Business Version of Ooma

http://www.ooma.com/products/business

I would like to start a topic discussing questions a business might have before purchasing.

Question...

I am truly a small business and only require two lines and a fax.

1. I can plug the fax right into the device but instead of using the Linx can I use two HD2 handsets instead?

2. I also understand you can only use 2 Linx per system, can I use more than two HD2 handsets?
Here is a site you can look at: https://www.ooma.com/products/business

I don't think Ooma has released anything about weather the Ooma Office can use HD2 handsets in addition to the Fax connection and four Linx devices.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 am

Yes, thank you I have the link

It would make sense that you could use the HD handset, I guess we will have to wait for an official response.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:10 pm

So nobody from Ooma can answer my questions in post #1?

Does nobody from Ooma business read the posts?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 pm

MapleOne wrote:So nobody from Ooma can answer my questions in post #1?

Does nobody from Ooma business read the posts?
This is primarily a user to user forum. The Ooma moderators participate once and a while.
They are all technical types.
I have never seen anyone from the business side on here.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 am

MapleOne wrote: 1. I can plug the fax right into the device but instead of using the Linx can I use two HD2 handsets instead?
Yes, you can plug your fax machine directly in the phone port of the Ooma Office base station. Shortly after launch, we're planning on adding Office support for the HD2 so that you could use HD2 handsets instead of Linxes.
MapleOne wrote: 2. I also understand you can only use 2 Linx per system, can I use more than two HD2 handsets?
You can pair up to four DECT devices.
Bobby B

Tuan

Post by Tuan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 pm

1. Can you clarify how the fax/phone option work? I just read the features of Ooma Office, but it's not entirely clear. According the link above, the fax is hooked up the extension 1. When someone is trying to fax to me, do they have to dial the extension? It sounds like that the Ooma Office is detecting the incoming call if it's a fax at first and then routes the calls to other Linx extensions if it's a voice call. Am I understanding this correctly? If that's the case, then we only need one number for the fax and phone.

2. Forwarding option - If I answer a call and found out that it's for someone out of the office, I can put the person on hold and route him/her to a cell phone? (The currently premier service of ooma telo can't do this. I'm going around the system by using multi-ring). It sounds like Ooma Office is 5 units of Ooma Telo hooked up in one with the addition of virtual receptionist feature and more options for voicemail

3. Do you know if ooma can port my current ooma telo numbers and landline to the ooma office? Has ooma announced a price for the Ooma Office for porting? I only see the price listed per line, which is $19.99 per month.

I currently have Ooma Telo with premier service for 2 lines and a dedicated landline for the fax with a different number. I'd like to integrate the Ooma Telo and the landline. Sounds like Ooma Office is my solution.
Last edited by Tuan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm pretty sure most people would designate a dedicated phone number to the fax, that can easily be done in the settings.
That is how I will hook up the fax.

Then I will dedicate my two other numbers for business, so in total I have to pay for 3 lines.

Now I have no idea how you would set up a fax/line share, maybe someone who has the system could help.

Tuan

Post by Tuan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 pm

MapleOne,
It sounds like you and I have the same need for business - 2 lines for business and 1 line for fax. I hope the Ooma Office can separate the fax with voice calls. According the link, fax and voice are integrated somehow with one unit.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Tuan wrote:1. Can you clarify how the fax/phone option work? I just read the features of Ooma Office, but it's not entirely clear. According the link above, the fax is hooked up the extension 1. When someone is trying to fax to me, do they have to dial the extension?
You can assign an external phone number directly to your fax number, so the person faxing you won't need to dial an extension number. Each additional line includes an additional number.
Tuan wrote: 2. Forwarding option - If I answer a call and found out that it's for someone out of the office, I can put the person on hold and route him/her to a cell phone?
We're planning on enabling the call transfer feature at or shortly after launch. You'll be able to place a call on hold by pressing the flash key and then transfer the call to someone else by entering a star code.
Tuan wrote: 3. Do you know if ooma can port my current ooma telo numbers and landline to the ooma office? Has ooma announced a price for the Ooma Office for porting? I only see the price listed per line, which is $19.99 per month.
There are no extra charges for porting numbers to Ooma Office.
Bobby B